Never had a NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is clearly an argumentative element to all this NEIPA hate speech. Some folks just seem to want to stir the pot and sit back and watch, then stir it some more. Some, or many even, genuinely don’t like the style but aren’t so militant in voicing their distaste. What I don’t understand is the unwillingness of some to not think and say how stupid anyone might be for liking it and not go on and on about what a disgusting style it is.

I got to thinking about beer I don't like. I would probably get smeared pretty good if I said Belgian beer was disgusting and flawed. I really do not like the phenolic and clove yeast flavors. Not at all. I made beer in the 80s that had these flavors and it turned me off enough that I quit brewing because I could not get "ale yeast" that did not turn out this way. Back then, at the one store I could get it at, yeast came in a kind of generic white sachet that was labeled Ale Yeast. By most beer standards those flavors would be considered a defect but we accept that they are OK because some (or lots of) people like them and they fit in a style. Hazy Hefeweizen has some of the same "defects" but doesn't get bashed. Some like it and some don't and let is go at that.

Maybe I could start a Belgian Beer is Defective thread, stir the pot occasionally, and see if it grows to 8 pages. I am not embarrassed to say I like a well made NEIPA. I will also admit it irritates me when folks insinuate that my opinion and taste, as well as the beer style, are defective. But this is the internet with Trolls and loud, persistent opinions. I should probably just stop reading and replying to the I Hate NEIPA threads. I do not frequent the Belgian Beer threads.
You’re not wrong

I can remember “hate speech” (here on HBT) about brewing in a bag.
I used to think the NEIPA thing was a passing BS fad for people willing to drive to Vermont, stand in a long line and pay big bucks for a 4 pack of beer.
Then I started trying some, and some are better than others.
I like a good double IPA, but if I drink more than one the bitterness turns into stomach problems. But I don’t have that problem with NEIPAs.
Low ABV versions are around but can be hard to find, so recently I’ve been brewing my own. It’s a somewhat interesting style to brew if you dive into it and try the different techniques.
I’m also a cheapskate with a large supply of grain to use up so I’ve been experimenting with reusing the massive amount of hops from the whirlpool and dry hop in a hoppy pale or amber ale.
I just ordered some phantasm to try adding and next I’m going to get into thiolized yeast.
So for me, NEIPA has restarted my homebrewing after letting it slide for a while.
:mug:
And the oxygen threads are filled with alot of it too

I can remember “hate speech” (here on HBT) about brewing in a bag.
I used to think the NEIPA thing was a passing BS fad for people willing to drive to Vermont, stand in a long line and pay big bucks for a 4 pack of beer.
Then I started trying some, and some are better than others.
I like a good double IPA, but if I drink more than one the bitterness turns into stomach problems. But I don’t have that problem with NEIPAs.
Low ABV versions are around but can be hard to find, so recently I’ve been brewing my own. It’s a somewhat interesting style to brew if you dive into it and try the different techniques.
I’m also a cheapskate with a large supply of grain to use up so I’ve been experimenting with reusing the massive amount of hops from the whirlpool and dry hop in a hoppy pale or amber ale.
I just ordered some phantasm to try adding and next I’m going to get into thiolized yeast.
So for me, NEIPA has restarted my homebrewing after letting it slide for a while.
:mug:
I hope you get it down. I ended up resorting to whirlpool/early fermentation hops and hop oils in secondary/keg only. Post fermentation diacytal (hop creep) was something I just never solved consistently.

Attachments

• IMG_7080.jpeg
    IMG_7080.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7082.jpeg
    IMG_7082.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 0
"hate speech", Jesus not this **** phrase in my favorite hobby.
Just to be clear, I used that term in jest and I don’t think Mr. Yeastwood had any nefarious intent starting this thread. I just find it curious that the NEIPA subject inspires such heated discussion and sometimes strong emotion.

Back