Never had a NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1706282636111.png

At least I feel like a NEIPA is the best bargain in terms of buying commercial vs homebrew ingredient cost.

And from the craft brewers I talk to, anything is less soul-crushing than brewing hard seltzer non-stop.

Closet hop cocktail makers in denial? It’s nothing to be ashamed about. Cocktails are legitimate beverages too.

https://www.foodrepublic.com/1304849/its-bitter-to-be-hoppy-rule-breaking-cocktail-ipa-lovers/
This one sounds like it’s crying out for some hazy. Hops and Dreams. “This hazy, hoppy cocktail is one for the dreamers. Fruity, zesty, sweet and sour. It’s got it all.”

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/en-gb/cocktail-recipes/hops-and-dreams/
I might have to make a hazy at this rate. 😀 Just a small one. I’ve got some Cryo hops hanging around with no plans. Citra and Pop Original.

Last edited:
Those of us who aren’t so keen on them, and those who downright hate them, are probably mostly annoyed by how dominant they have become.

I find I can’t randomly walk into a brewpub anymore without checking their beer list first because its almost a guarantee their offerings will mostly be hazies.

@McMullan ; You were gone for a while and I really missed your historical posts that filled in more of the social/cultural part of brewing history, especially when Kviec's hit the scene, and I've missed your snark. Please don't die on this hill. I personally don't think of NEIPAs as beer, but rather; "Fruit Juice", and I've always associated "Hazy" with "Lazy"..though on a hot summer day I will order a single one to go with a hot spicy meal, I wouldn't bother keeping any around the house, nor can I bring myself to even think of it as 'beer' despite it's recognition as such my so many. I can't help but wonder what words a brewer from the 1600's would chose to describe a modern smoke-free. LODO pale-blonde lager? ..Would arguments about the lack of smoke in malting, the O2 permeability of sheep's intestine and fermenting temperatures ensue? Heck, there are shows on TV we have to call 'comedies', though the never have anything funny in them but have a laugh track layered over nothing, but they're still categorized as 'comedy' and while I chose not to watch them, I reluctanly accept the title.

cock·tail
/ˈkäkˌtāl/

noun
noun: cocktail; plural noun: cocktails
an alcoholic drink consisting of a spirit or several spirits mixed with other ingredients, such as fruit juice, lemonade, or cream.

Understanding how beer, cider, wines and spirits differ is simple when you realize the differentiation is based on alcohol content and production terms.

Wine, beer, and cider are all alcohol but not spirits or liquor.

Spirits and liquor are the same thing in your glass but not in distillation process.

What they do have in common is they are all alcohol.

cock·tail
/ˈkäkˌtāl/
noun
noun: cocktail; plural noun: cocktails
an alcoholic drink consisting of a spirit or several spirits mixed with other ingredients, such as fruit juice, lemonade, or cream.

Understanding how beer, cider, wines and spirits differ is simple when you realize the differentiation is based on alcohol content and production terms.

Wine, beer, and cider are all alcohol but not spirits or liquor.

Spirits and liquor are the same thing in your glass but not in distillation process.

What they do have in common is they are all alcohol.
A very limited definition of a cocktail. Here’s one of the simplest beer cocktails:

https://www.christinascucina.com/how-to-make-a-traditional-british-shandy-the-proper-way/

A very limited definition of a cocktail. Here’s one of the simplest beer cocktails:

https://www.christinascucina.com/how-to-make-a-traditional-british-shandy-the-proper-way/

Sure, a beer cocktail, with fruit.

Most commercial NEIPA does not have fruit added, just a specific combo of hops that give it fruity character. Yes, some have fruit added, but not a "traditional". Same goes for lactose, sour, and any other nonsense someone wants to throw in there. Do I endorse any of these non traditional additions?........absolutely not, I despise them in fact.

Out of curiosity, do you not consider Weiss-beer not real beer because it isn't clear.....by definition.

Out of curiosity, do you not consider Weiss-beer not real beer because it isn't clear.....by definition.
I did type ‘with very few exceptions’, but even if you wanted to cherry-pick a cloudy weiss beer, it would be a bit of a stretch to say it was representative of the vast majority of beers.

I did type ‘with very few exceptions’, but even if you wanted to cherry-pick a cloudy weiss beer, it would be a bit of a stretch to say it was representative of the vast majority of beers.

Same with saying NEIPA is a fruity cocktail. Some are fruity, some are not.

RDWHAHB.....on February 1st

It seems to me there must be a lot of kids out there who need to take off the training wheels and see what other styles there are.
Take a peek at "Craft beer enthusiasts" on facebook and you will see photos of pints with toys and stickers.. it is unnerving to feel this old at 46. I posted ONE photo in my underoos and was kicked out of the group!

When your beverage has an ECTO-COOLER or the Hawiian Punch guy on the label, you might be drinking a beery cocktail. Hazies are legit beer with an obnixious use of beer ingredients. If this is a disqualifier then we should also consider Mit Hefe a cocktail.

OT: Did you know that Fireball brand sells their shots in liquor and malt-beverage forms? The malt-beverage form is sold in beer/wine stores that do not carry liquor. I do not drink glycol so I always pass.

I tend to agree that the more extreme examples are not “real beer”.
There are extreme examples of almost everything.

When bacon went viral some years back, I picked up a bottle of Bakon vodka (there was also a Hawaiian themed party coming up and there was a Hawaiian themed cocktail, which invoked this brand of vodka, that I had planned to make). I thought it was horrid (and I also quickly switched to a different cocktail recipe for the party!).

I gave the bottle to a coworker and he seemed to like it. I won't judge. I didn't like it, but maybe it just wasn't my thing.

I've enjoyed a few hazies, although it's not something I can drink much of. It's certainly not something I seek out or drink much of. But it is, technically, beer.

Whether it's "real beer" or not It's probably for history to decide. The history of beer has some significant shifts in styles and ingredients over the years / centuries.

Whether it's "real beer" or not It's probably for history to decide. The history of beer has some significant shifts in styles and ingredients over the years / centuries.

True. But all of that history is additive and inclusive - nobody proposed tossing a beverage brewed with the classic ingredients that historically lead to "beer" out of the club because it didn't conform to someone's narrow taste...

Cheers!

What's a good one to try?

Hi Clint,

Forgot to quote you and don't know if this got swallowed by the rants at the end.

I'm new here, but if anybody wants my 2cents, here they are:

Brewing NEIPAs has been the focus of my home brewing for the past three years. Tasting the world's renowned NEIPAs In order to "set my sights" and know what my ultimate goal is, has been a part of that journey.

In addition to a couple hundred lessor known NEIPAs, I've had Heady Topper, Focal Banger, (Extra) Juicy Bits, Julius, Oh-J, a few Root&Branch's, a few Other Half's and about 10 different beers each from Treehouse and Trillium, to name some of the more famous ones I've had.

For my money, Trillium makes the best NEIPAs hands down. Every single beer I've had from Trillium has been amazing. Try DDH Melcher Street or DDH Stillings Street, for example. I've been nothing but disappointed by Treehouse and would never buy another of their beers. Also excellent have been Focal Banger (but Heady Topper was disappointing), Juicy Bits and Oh-J. The best European NEIPAs I've had are from Garage Brewing in Spain (the 'Soup' NEIPAs and their new "Ziplocked 24").

Cheers

With few exceptions, beer is bright by default and that brightness is what helps present the subtle complexities of beer.

Wulp... i usually stay out of these pointless needless arguments... but i'm sober right now, and figure why not.
I bet "beer" as we mostly know it today (say, the last 200 years?) is NOTHING like 'beer' from 3,000-5,000 years ago... i think most can agree it was cloudy and not clear in the least (modern refridgeration has changed this). So in that sense, i bet a hazy looks more like beer from a thousand years ago than a crisp ale/lager.
Are we only comparing hazy to beer from the last few centuries?
Could one argue the 'clear beer' is not true to beer thusly?
Where does one draw the line? 300 years? 3,000 years? 30 years?

NEIPAs are made the same way other ales and lagers are made. Water, Grain, Yeast and Hops.
Yup. This. Modern technology has allowed specfic yeast strains, newer hopsl strains, and modern technology (pressure tanks, spunding) have made it possible.
However- most use modifed oats, so... no Purity law compliance here.
Yeah... pretty sure Germans own the 'modern' beer movement (or mainly Europeans)... of course we are talking only 500 years or so... but i would wager most beers 500 years ago contained a 'haze' of some kind...

Just my $0.02. An opinion only. Awaiting my blasting and destruction. ( i Have the over at 1.5 for personal attacks on my personal prefernces. Don't let me down!).

Wulp... i usually stay out of these pointless needless arguments... but i'm sober right now, and figure why not.
I bet "beer" as we mostly know it today (say, the last 200 years?) is NOTHING like 'beer' from 3,000-5,000 years ago... i think most can agree it was cloudy and not clear in the least (modern refridgeration has changed this). So in that sense, i bet a hazy looks more like beer from a thousand years ago than a crisp ale/lager.
Are we only comparing hazy to beer from the last few centuries?
Could one argue the 'clear beer' is not true to beer thusly?
Where does one draw the line? 300 years? 3,000 years? 30 years?

Yup. This. Modern technology has allowed specfic yeast strains, newer hopsl strains, and modern technology (pressure tanks, spunding) have made it possible.
However- most use modifed oats, so... no Purity law compliance here.

Yeah... pretty sure Germans own the 'modern' beer movement (or mainly Europeans)... of course we are talking only 500 years or so... but i would wager most beers 500 years ago contained a 'haze' of some kind...

Just my $0.02. An opinion only. Awaiting my blasting and destruction. ( i Have the over at 1.5 for personal attacks on my personal prefernces. Don't let me down!).
I’m not so sure. The primary ingredients, including yeast, produce bright (clear) beers by default, when used to make what most people consider beer. Nor is it insignificant, culturally speaking. It’s what brewers have worked with for centuries to develop beer styles. Then stumble along a bunch of pretentious millennials rejecting ‘normality’ of established culture for the sake of self gain, financial or emotional. They weren’t well equipped to improve whatever it was they didn’t like and just crudely added more and more and more hops. Such a crude strategy was unlikely to ever improve anything. They invented a novel barley-based hop ‘smoothie’ that sits more with cocktails than beer. That doesn’t mean people can’t enjoy hop smoothies or hazies, if that’s what they like. I’m among those who view hazies too different to be called beer. Worse, it seems to have become a distraction from what was genuine progress being promoted by craft brewing up to about 10 years ago. When it was about making great beer and rejecting big macros and corporatism. Now it seems to have been hijacked by some kind of hop-industrial complex promoting heavily hopped cocktails. It’s not about passion for progress and improving things. It’s all about profits and shareholder ’value’ at any cost.

I’m not so sure. The primary ingredients, including yeast, produce bright (clear) beers by default, when used to make what most people consider beer. Nor is it insignificant, culturally speaking. It’s what brewers have worked with for centuries to develop beer styles. Then stumble along a bunch of pretentious millennials rejecting ‘normality’ of established culture for the sake of self gain, financial or emotional. They weren’t well equipped to improve whatever it was they didn’t like and just crudely added more and more and more hops. Such a crude strategy was unlikely to ever improve anything. They invented a novel barley-based hop ‘smoothie’ that sits more with cocktails than beer. That doesn’t mean people can’t enjoy hop smoothies or hazies, if that’s what they like. I’m among those who view hazies too different to be called beer. Worse, it seems to have become a distraction from what was genuine progress being promoted by craft brewing up to about 10 years ago. When it was about making great beer and rejecting big macros and corporatism. Now it seems to have been hijacked by some kind of hop-industrial complex promoting heavily hopped cocktails. It’s not about passion for progress and improving things. It’s all about profits and shareholder ’value’ at any cost.
Do you consider disabled/handicapped people real people? They're made with the same ingredients, after all. Asking for a friend.

Do you consider disabled/handicapped people real people? They're made with the same ingredients, after all. Asking for a friend.
What does that have to do with beer and hazy hop cocktails? I certainly wouldn’t reduce people to ‘ingredients’ or judge them regardless. I find people generally more important than cocktails, tbh. Note too that many unfortunate people have disabilities because they aren’t made of the same ‘ingredients’. That’s what a disability is, by definition.

Not a good argument, after all, everything is made with the same ingredients.
They only tastes different. And NEIPAs don't taste like beer. So, isn't beer, by some points of view. 😂😂😂

Back