never give advice about losing weight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crito

Reaction score
Someone was wanting to lose weight. I told him of a filling snack. He told me I was wrong. I told him a low calorie snack of refried beans and one serving of fritos. We looked it up and it was 280 calories. ( 2/3 cup of refried beans and 1 oz of fritos. I pointed out the nutrition and ingredients list. I told them that it is a full filling snack. They still said I was wrong.

Why do people who eat triple meat whoopers and six tacobell tacos don't understand about vegetables during a meal and snacks as being snacks (to avoid binge eating fast food). Even with a homebrew at night, I consume about 2k calories. And .. they say I am not fat due to my metabolism. Grrrrrr.

Edit. I am about twenty over my ideal weight that I was when I was single and going to the gym four times a week. But hell a lot skinnier then those guys who said I was wrong.

I am on and on-again, off-again diet. When I'm ON this diet I try to have vegetables at work to snack on. I even eat them with some ranch dressing (cause it's yummy) instead of eating donuts, and similar snacks.

Now fritos and beans sounds good, but they wouldn't strike me as low calorie. But only 280 calories isn't bad for a diet snack, depending on how much a person also eats at meal times, or depending on how many times they snack.

2,000 calories is suggested as a normal diet, but that's for a fairly active person. I know I am rather sedentary having a desk job. So I usually plan on 1500 calories instead, and if I'm serious about losing a couple of lbs and trying to be healthier, I'll get on the bike.

My diet food usually consist of fewer carbs and grains like wheat, and lean meats and lots of veggies. Some would call it a loose version of the caveman diet. Almost no processed sugars, but any natural fruit sugar is fine (although I generally dislike fruit, so I generally don't eat them).

And I try to eat several small meals a day if possible and try not to "fill up". That gets easy once you get past the first few days and get in the habit. Eating the right foods can also keep you from feeling hungry for a longer period.

Finally, if I had a snack of Fritos and beans, I doubt I would want to stop at a single serving... Just being real.

I'm one of those guys who can eat anything he wants and just get really fat. Its never been an issue.

What you got on your hands is an askhole. An askhole is someone who asks your opinion and then either gets really upset when you give it or does the exact opposite of what you advise only to come crying to you. Some askholes can change their ways but for the most part they are terminal boobs to be avoided.

My circle of friends is small in diameter.

I am on and on-again, off-again diet. When I'm ON this diet I try to have vegetables at work to snack on. I even eat them with some ranch dressing (cause it's yummy) instead of eating donuts, and similar snacks.

Now fritos and beans sounds good, but they wouldn't strike me as low calorie. But only 280 calories isn't bad for a diet snack, depending on how much a person also eats at meal times, or depending on how many times they snack.

2,000 calories is suggested as a normal diet, but that's for a fairly active person. I know I am rather sedentary having a desk job. So I usually plan on 1500 calories instead, and if I'm serious about losing a couple of lbs and trying to be healthier, I'll get on the bike.

My diet food usually consist of fewer carbs and grains like wheat, and lean meats and lots of veggies. Some would call it a loose version of the caveman diet. Almost no processed sugars, but any natural fruit sugar is fine (although I generally dislike fruit, so I generally don't eat them).

Omg. Caveman diet is what I call mine too. Its pretty cool that you think the same way.

People always ask me if I am on a diet when they see me with three servings of vegies, chicken breast and maybe a banana. I say no I am not on a diet, this meal is what our ancestors ate, plus I am not hungry anymore. I cannot work and feel hungry. Its to painful for me, so I had to change my way of eating, caveman diet.

True, guess my idea wasn't a low calorie snack (in the pure form). Its just a snack that I found myself enjoying that was about 300 calories less then my other snacks and healthier.

I burn about 2300 calories per day...and currently cutting my food intake to 1700 calories...so I workout...burn 700-1000 calories...and blam...I can now accommodate a few tasty brews.

Wanted to loose 40 pounds when I started and am down 10...only 30 to go.

It sucks...I'm always hungry...but I would rather add the beer than more food...beer good.

Beer...good...

Wanted to loose 40 pounds when I started and am down 10...only 30 to go. It sucks...I'm always hungry...but I would rather add the beer than more food...beer good.

Beer...good...

I know the feeling. Just after college a few years ago I started eating better, exercising, and lost all the fast food weight I had gained over the previous 5 years. I felt hungry pretty much every day for a year or more, but I stuck with it, and lost around 60 lbs over the course of two years. It seems like I stopped feeling hungry about the second summer, and what I had been eating became my new mental meal size. Keep at it!

I know the feeling. Just after college a few years ago I started eating better, exercising, and lost all the fast food weight I had gained over the previous 5 years. I felt hungry pretty much every day for a year or more, but I stuck with it, and lost around 60 lbs over the course of two years. It seems like I stopped feeling hungry about the second summer, and what I had been eating became my new mental meal size. Keep at it!

Plus a million. Once you lose the weight and eat better, its a lot easier to maintain the weight. You will actually acquire a taste for the food.

My family's major problem was wheat. Once that was dealt with... became easier to maintain weight. Deserts became a family outing, like a celebration.

I used to travel a lot for work and ate in restaurants. I blossomed up to 255 pounds during that time. Now that I am home all the time I am down to 195 pounds and do not even look at what I eat so much.

I lost about 80lbs over 2 years. Managed to keep 70 off so far. I used to tell people how I did it. Now I just tell them I'm on bath salts.
So many people are used to hearing about the latest 'fad' diets and loosing 50 lbs in 6 months (that comes right back as soon as you stop the diet), they have absolutely no interest in hearing about the one true way to loose weight and keep it off, because it requires too much sacrifice and work.

Here's what most people do..

Step on the scale "holy *&^% I'm 270 lbs! Better start a diet"

Eat healthier food and less food for several months maybe pop a pill or two. They call this a "diet"

After losing 50 lbs and feeling good about their self they slowly introduce the bad food until eventually they are back to their old ways.

A few months later the 50 lbs returns.

Repeat.

To me, a diet is defined by a permanent change in eating habits.

Somewhere along the way the weight loss industry has redefined the word diet to mean a temporary change weight with fast results and then the weight comes back. Then next new year they sell you the latest snake oil.

When someone tells enlightens me with tricks to lose weight, I let it go in one ear and out the other.

Me... I understand what a diet and refuse to buy any snake oil. I'm just overweight because I enjoy food have limited physical activity.

^^Yup! I've been able to keep it off two years because I made a change. I learned how to eat correctly. The 10lbs gained is my fault. Too much eating and drinking. Starting Monday, it's back at it. I'll drop the 10lbs fairly quick. I'm 5'7 160 so I really don't need to drop any but when I was 150, I looked pretty good. Muscular with a 4 pack. Not quite the 6.

Mine is no diet...it is a complete lifestyle change...

So far I am very happy with it...it simply takes getting use to it. Immediate benefit,...I feel much more energetic!

Yeah, I would say the same thing. Going "on" a diet is much different than "changing" a diet. I feel like only the latter will ever make a long term difference.

I'm still finding that it's much harder to lose those last 10 lbs, because the incentive shrinks. At 230, it's easy to be all like "holy crap!" but the difference in 170 and 160(where I want to end up) isn't much. Plus, I feel like my bodys equilibrium position is hovering right around 172. I still want those last 10, but I'm not sure I have the effort to give towards it till the summer hits.

Stick with it. I found 160 to 152 took forever. 1/2lb at a time is about as fast as it came off. I attributed that to lifting weights and playing golf. Went to the beach the end of summer, made a pig of myself and been sitting at 160 since. I think it's my equilibrium. Which, I am ok with. But I think I'm making the shift of muscle and replacing with fat. Feeling squishy.

Back