Neomexicanus Medusa/MultiHead variety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvain

Hops made in France
Reaction score
Hello, I have been looking for several years to get the Medusa Multi-Head variety in France.
But no company sells abroad.
So I turn to amateur gardeners like myself.

In exchange for a rhizome, I can pay you (PayPal) or send you seeds from my breeding program.

Thanks !

Hello, I have been looking for several years to get the Medusa Multi-Head variety in France.
But no company sells abroad.
So I turn to amateur gardeners like myself.

In exchange for a rhizome,
Please don't do this - it is incredibly stupid to be sending rhizomes between continents, it's a recipe for spreading diseases that could wipe out the hop industry - qv Phylloxera in grapes

You're not exempt from plant health rules just because you're a private individual.

According to Stan Hieronymus' latest email the only commercial grower CLS Farms is pulling up their Medusa as it doesn't yield enough, so 2022 will be the last vintage of Medusa hops available commercially.

Please don't do this - it is incredibly stupid to be sending rhizomes between continents, it's a recipe for spreading diseases that could wipe out the hop industry - qv Phylloxera in grapes

You're not exempt from plant health rules just because you're a private individual.

According to Stan Hieronymus' latest email the only commercial grower CLS Farms is pulling up their Medusa as it doesn't yield enough, so 2022 will be the last vintage of Medusa hops available commercially.
France does have some import restrictions for hops, but they are pretty minor.

International plant shipping is hardly a rare thing. Though usually done by larger companies, individuals can do it to. I've legally imported hop seeds and cuttings from many countries, with all of the required paperwork and certifications. And to be honest, at least with the criteria my own country asks for, it's not really any safer than clandestine imports. The safety precautions I take are all importer-side, and they are all self-imposed.

The big no-no for everyone is soil, though. No country ever wants to see plants shipped with any traces of soil.

And I'm not promoting clandestine imports, I'm just saying that while imports can carry risks, but they are a legitimate and common practice in most countries.

And that's a pity because this is one of my wife's favorite hops.

"when I bring hops from abroad, I quarantine them"
What steps do you take and what are you screening for?

The plants received from abroad are separated from the rest of my hopyard.
After a season, if nothing has been observed, I replant the rhizome in my hopyard

Latest posts

Back