Nelson Sauvin Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I just found and bought a pound of Nelson Sauvin since this hop is quite nice and meets the profiles I enjoy. Last use of NS was a very low ABV beer of 2.8% with rye and wheat. I bittered with CTZ extract and used the Nelson at FO/WP. The flavor is awesome, but frankly the low ABV was a test and left me feeling this beer was a bit less satisfying (body/mouthfeel) than I anticipated. My buddy suggested I call this "The Half Nelson".

So, my for next NS venture, I'll go a bit more traditional around the 5.5% range as is my norm. Maybe a Pale Ale? Also, should I single hop this (I use CTZ for bittering) or add something else I have like Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic?

Any recipe suggestions or hop uses and addition schedules are welcomed. And thanks for the help with the Nelson!

Have done a DIPA bittered with Apollo, and used pretty much all those hops in the mix save for Mosaic.

I used my "Lucky 7" grain bill -
7 lb 2-row, 7 lb Golden Promise, and 0.7 lb Crystal 40. (plus a pound of corn sugar at 10)

Came out amazing. 42 at competition.

Do not have quantities memorized, but -

Bitter - Apollo

Amarillo @ 20

hop burst - Nelson, Amarillo, Idaho 7

hopstand - Nelson, Citra, Amarillo, Idaho 7

dryhop - Nelson, Citra, Amarillo, Idaho 7

Targeted 72 IBU

I just brewed (and kegged yesterday) an all nelson kolsh. 10 gallon batch, 2oz at 15 and 4oz day 4 dry hop. Tasted and smelled awesome (really pronounced smell and flavor of white wine grapes). Force carbing now - cant wait to try it tomorrow. This is a low ABV beer as well- ~ 4%

I just brewed (and kegged yesterday) an all nelson kolsh. 10 gallon batch, 2oz at 15 and 4oz day 4 dry hop. Tasted and smelled awesome (really pronounced smell and flavor of white wine grapes). Force carbing now - cant wait to try it tomorrow. This is a low ABV beer as well- ~ 4%

Once you sample, would you mind reporting back to see if the hop additions and amounts met your satisfaction? Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back