Nelson Sauvin hops anywhere?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'm gearing up for a third rendition of my Nelson Sauvin Saison, but I can't seem to find any Nelson hops in stock anywhere. Does anyone know a place that might have them in stock?

I know the southern hemisphere harvest is approaching, so perhaps I just timed this brew wrong.

Just found this and wanted to contribute: I just picked up some Nelson from MoreBeer and YVH. I’ve purchased from BSG via my lhbs and nikobrew a few years back but was not happy with the quality. May have been poor handling or a bad year (2014/15)...

Thanks! I see Nelson on MoreBeer, but not on YVH...

I may have bought the remainder of their 2017 supply (sorry!). Since they have 2018 crop galaxy and Vic’s secret now, I don’t think it will be too long before we see 2018 nelson show up!

I get mine from farmhouse, more beer or sometimes from eBay if all else fails.

Farmhouse is great also and the recently switched their hop packaging to Mylar - I’ve been able to score 1/2 Lb-ers of cryo hops. Super pleased with the quality from that hop shop for US-grown, I’ll check out some of their southern-hemi soon. Thanks for the tip ;)

I may have bought the remainder of their 2017 supply (sorry!). Since they have 2018 crop galaxy and Vic’s secret now, I don’t think it will be too long before we see 2018 nelson show up!

You may have. No need to be sorry, congrats for scoring!
I had looked for Nelson on YVH last week, there was nothing. They happen to restock from surplus or canceled contracts, so you are lucky to have been there are the right time.

I really hope they'll have Nelson again, they didn't seem to offer any of it last year. MoreBeer doesn't list a harvest year on theirs.

Speaking of, last year, by a fluke, I checked HopsDirect and saw Nelson. Quickly put 2 pounds in my basket, logged in, checked out, and it came up empty. Maybe someone was playing around... having fun with us?

You may have. No need to be sorry, congrats for scoring!
I had looked for Nelson on YVH last week, there was nothing. They happen to restock from surplus or canceled contracts, so you are lucky to have been there are the right time.

I really hope they'll have Nelson again, they didn't seem to offer any of it last year. MoreBeer doesn't list a harvest year on theirs.

Speaking of, last year, by a fluke, I checked HopsDirect and saw Nelson. Quickly put 2 pounds in my basket, logged in, checked out, and it came up empty. Maybe someone was playing around... having fun with us?

I added myself to the YVH Nelson email list - I’ll ping here again if I see something show up.
Bummer about HopsDirect - I know a bunch of folks who watch that site closely... So maybe they sold out super quickly and you were unlucky. I think they were having fun selling hops fast, not having fun with us in any nefarious way.

IMG_7761.jpg

I can confirm that Nelson 2017 batch from YVH is in great shape. I did a saison with wy3522 (Achouffe strain, cake from a previous batch ~500B) and detect no diesel/oxidized hop notes that I noted with a few other vendors. I’ve got some NS from Morebeer and I’ll post here when I use them.
Great combo with this yeast/hops. I’m getting a subtle grape/wine/gooseberry, which melds well with the yeast-driven flavors/aromas ;)
IMG_1534724424.447028.jpg
IMG_7956.jpg

My LHBs has piles of Nelson which I always find funny. They definitely don’t have any 2018 yet it last I looked there was plenty of 2017.

The Beer Nut
Salt Lake City, UT
Beernut.com

Thanks couchsending. I’ve tried NS from BSG and Nikobrew and those batches were rough. Could have been the year/lot that was not great - also could have been improper usage, yeast-hop interaction or operator error ;)

This round though was great and I went with only hot-side additions. Previously I DH during or after fermentation with a US05 driven fermentation.

My LHBs has piles of Nelson which I always find funny. They definitely don’t have any 2018 yet it last I looked there was plenty of 2017.

The Beer Nut
Salt Lake City, UT
Beernut.com

The 2018 harvest season is just starting. Most varieties won't be available for another couple of months.

Southern Hemisphere harvest was done on March/April.

You can get 2018 AUS/NZ hops from YVH now. Galaxy/Vic Secret/Ella have been available for about a month.

Just got the email for Motueka, etc. and the 2018 NS is sold out already @ YVH!

FYI - YVH has 2018 Nelson remaining in 2oz pkg, and Morebeer.com has 1 & 2oz pkgs.
Brewed with the YVH (saison, 2017 Nelson, 4oz whirlpool) and they were great. Did a NEIPA with 1318, Galaxy and Nelson (8oz each, Galaxy from YVH and Nelson from morebeer). Gotta say this is the best Nelson I’ve found so far. No diesel notes, just pure citrus/lime/gooseberry fruit bomb.

Back