NEIPA with pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhommes

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has added real pumpkin (no spices) to a NEIPA recipe strictly to increase haziness and maybe add a tiny bit of flavor. Kind of a fall NEIPA. Obviously a little gimicky but still curious. Thanks!

When I make my annual pumpkin ale, I use 60oz of canned pumpkin in the mash and you do get some great color from it, however pumpkin's flavor is closer to squash. It's the spices that associate pumpkin flavor with. However...if you're system recirculates in anyway, consider using rice hulls because the pumpkin in the mash will eventually clog things up ( at least it has in my experience).

I found the same results. I mashed with pumpkin puree that I had toasted in the oven . Added to mash , forgot to add hulls = nightmare . I think we get the pumpkin taste because of the spices we taste in say a pumpkin pie .

Back