NEIPA water PH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10bkeating10

Reaction score
New to water profiling. I am comfortable with the sulphate/chloride additions once the correct PH is reached. I just want an opinion of my additions to bring down the PH. Boston water is at about 9-9.5 PH. My calculator asks for 2.3 ml Lactic acid at 88% or 25ml Phosphorus acid at 10%. Does this seem in the ballpark? Total water is ~9.5-10 gal, recirculation infusion BIAB.

Depends on the existing water profile. 2.3ml sounds very light based on my experience (I generally use 4-5ml for full volume 8 gallons mash). I measure the mash with a calibrated pH meter and generally end up around 5.4ish.

Depends on the existing water profile. 2.3ml sounds very light based on my experience (I generally use 4-5ml for full volume 8 gallons mash). I measure the mash with a calibrated pH meter and generally end up around 5.4ish.
Geez...that's double. I think I should play it safe and go with 4ml if that. I should be playin with water profiles on simpler beers I would imagine.

New to water profiling. I am comfortable with the sulphate/chloride additions once the correct PH is reached. I just want an opinion of my additions to bring down the PH. Boston water is at about 9-9.5 PH. My calculator asks for 2.3 ml Lactic acid at 88% or 25ml Phosphorus acid at 10%. Does this seem in the ballpark? Total water is ~9.5-10 gal, recirculation infusion BIAB.

Does your calculator predict your mash pH based on your grist? In general the pH of your water is irrelevant it's the pH of your mash that you need to target.

It does. Here is the water from a report.

upload_2018-5-11_19-14-46.png

Here is what it says to add.

upload_2018-5-11_19-15-36.png

thats sparge. your main mash water should already have salts that lower the ph (gypsum, chloride, etc) and the grains do their own work on the ph as well. additions to sparge are usually lower than main mash water.

He's doing BIAB so that should be for the full volume, he set the "A" volume to 100%, however I am not familiar with that particular calculator, so I certainly could be misinterpreting.

@10bketing10
What is your grist and starting water profile?

FWIW, I'm doing a Helles tomorrow and only adding 2ml of lactic...

He doesnt state no sparge. If it was full volume biab there would be no info for a sparge addition as there is no sparge water to treat.

He's doing BIAB so that should be for the full volume, he set the "A" volume to 100%, however I am not familiar with that particular calculator, so I certainly could be misinterpreting.

@10bketing10
What is your grist and starting water profile?

FWIW, I'm doing a Helles tomorrow and only adding 2ml of lactic...
Correct. It is a BIAB. That is the total water volume of ~10 gal. The first pic are the numbers listed in the starting water.

The second pick is the recommended additions, lactic or phosphoric.

This looks like the spreadsheet from Kai Troester. We kinda need all the info you input and which tab you are using basic or advanced. The little bit you've shown so far is not enough to go on to answer your question.

This looks like the spreadsheet from Kai Troester. We kinda need all the info you input and which tab you are using basic or advanced. The little bit you've shown so far is not enough to go on to answer your question.
Well...I brewed it yesterday with the additions listed. It's still gonna be beer :). I will look into my calculator, and others further.

Back