New England IPA NEIPA w/ Galaxy, Simcoe & El Doradio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltyboy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Note: Full details of the recipe, procedure, and photos available here as a blog post
http://maltyboy.com/recipes/galaxy-simcoe-el-dorado-neipa/

----------------------
Recipe
-----------------------

batch.png

When brewing very heavily dry hopped beers you’ll want to increase the overall batch size to account for losses if you still want to get a full keg at the end.

Water
My personal preference for NEIPA water profiles is to go reasonably high on the Calcium Chloride. For this batch, I targeted 150ppm CaCl and 80ppm Sulfate.

fermentatbles.png

Mash
Single infusion mash @ 68C for 60min

hops.png

When I’m using huge quantities of hops I’ll typically avoid using varieties with a high cohumulone content hotside / in the whirlpool, as they’re more likely to introduce an astringent bitterness. For this batch I also staggered my whirlpool additions in attempt to retain more hop oils into the fermenter, as I wasn’t planning on dry hopping during active fermentation.

Fermentation
I had a pack of Gigayeast GY054 Vermont yeast on hand for this brew. It was about 4 months old so I spun up a 1.5L starter to ensure I had an adequate cell count for fermentation. I pitched the yeast into 20C wort and placed in my fermentation fridge. After 72 hours of vigorous fermentation I ramped the temp to 22C.

----------------------
Tasting Notes
-----------------------

Smell: Presents with a huge nose, like opening a fresh bag of Galaxy hops. Citrus, mango, melon and passionfruit dominate.

Appearance: Glowing, opaque pine-orange juice. Really happy with the appearance of this batch. Head is white and fluffy with reasonable retention. Absolutely nails the NEIPA look without being too dark or muddy.

Taste: Saturated hop flavour that largely follows the nose; citrus, mango and melon. Bitterness is restrained.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body with quite a soft, silky mouthfeel. I’ve seen people recommend very high percentages of flaked grains, but I’m more than happy with the contribution of 8% flaked barley (in combination with wheat) in this recipe.

DSC08268.jpg

DSC08277-1440x960.jpg

Might need to try this. What’s a good substitute for dr rudi? I have many other varieties, but no dr rudi.

Might need to try this. What’s a good substitute for dr rudi? I have many other varieties, but no dr rudi.

As it's only a very small bittering charge that will add little to no flavour, use whatever you like. Warrior, Magnum, CTZ and Simcoe are good options.

@maltyboy very nice recipe thanks for sharing when I go through what I got I may try this recipe substituting the El Dorado with Motueka (just my preference) and as a Long Islander you nailed the look spot on looks great

Motueka would work well here, if you do brew it please let me know how you go!

FYI this beer is now 5 weeks old and still drinking pretty fresh, but I'm now picking up a bit of lychee and apricot. The 'haze' is very persistent and essentially looks identical to the day it was kegged.

Motueka would work well here, if you do brew it please let me know how you go!

FYI this beer is now 5 weeks old and still drinking pretty fresh, but I'm now picking up a bit of lychee and apricot. The 'haze' is very persistent and essentially looks identical to the day it was kegged.

I need to use up my flaked barley on something other than a stout and this sounds like it has potential :)
I'll use Columbus or Nugget instead of the Dr. Rudi and a combination of Vic Secret, Eldorado and Galaxy in the dry hop.

Something for Spring.

Anyone made a batch and have any feedback?
Planning on doing this in a few weeks.
I will keep the exact grain bill but use Nugget for bittering and because I'm lazy put all the Eldorado and Simcoe in one addition for the whirlpool.
I'm going to use the dry hop to finish off my the rest of my Eldorado, Galaxy, Summit and Vic Secret.
Will add up to a DH of about 325 grams:)

The only thing I need to decide on is the yeast.
Lots of options.
Dry - US05, Nottingham, K-97, M42
Liquid - 1098, WLP005, harvested Altbier yeast should be something like WLP036/1007

I'm leaning more towards 1098 or WLP005 or possibly M42 o_O

Planning on doing this in a few weeks.
I will keep the exact grain bill but use Nugget for bittering and because I'm lazy put all the Eldorado and Simcoe in one addition for the whirlpool.
I'm going to use the dry hop to finish off my the rest of my Eldorado, Galaxy, Summit and Vic Secret.
Will add up to a DH of about 325 grams:)

The only thing I need to decide on is the yeast.
Lots of options.
Dry - US05, Nottingham, K-97, M42
Liquid - 1098, WLP005, harvested Altbier yeast should be something like WLP036/1007

I'm leaning more towards 1098 or WLP005 or possibly M42 o_O

The hop additions you've suggested will work well I think. Vic Secret is magical in the dry hop, so go large on that.

I'd probably go with either the 1098 or WLP005.

Let us know how you go :)

The hop additions you've suggested will work well I think. Vic Secret is magical in the dry hop, so go large on that.

I'd probably go with either the 1098 or WLP005.

Let us know how you go :)

Well I pitched a starter of 1098 last night and will use it for this and an American amber. Brew is planned for Saturday morning.
The dry hop will be 125g Vic Secret, 105g Summit and 65g Galaxy.
85g each of El Dorado and Simcoe in the whirlpool.
I'm also going to sub 1kg of the pilsner with a bit over a 1kg of Castle oat malt. I went a bit overboard and bought 10kg at a discount price (75% off) last year so I will use some here.
Will report back after brew day.

Summit is a garlic bomb. Vic Secret is good, but kind of dank, grassy, piney. It might end less juicier than you expect.

Summit is a garlic bomb. Vic Secret is good, but kind of dank, grassy, piney. It might end less juicier than you expect.

I'm OK with that.
I'm really wanting to use up what I have left of those three hops before they get old. Summit seems to change from batch to batch, depending on, among other things, how late or early it was harvested.
I got a pound of it a few years ago and none of the beers I brewed with it were garlicy. I used it in all parts of the hopping schedule so I'm confident this last few ounces will also be OK. I actually used it the dry hop for a Deep Ellum IPA clone and it tasted great. Saying that it's not a hop that I will probably ever buy again, unless there is a beer with it in it that I really want to clone, but not in bulk.

I guess it's all seasonal/crop variation as well. My latest batch of Vic Secret is incredible and throws massive tropical fruit, even when used in very high amounts. One of my favourite IPA's of the last year has been the following:
http://maltyboy.com/recipes/hop-duster-ipa/

I'm OK with that.
I'm really wanting to use up what I have left of those three hops before they get old. Summit seems to change from batch to batch, depending on, among other things, how late or early it was harvested.
I got a pound of it a few years ago and none of the beers I brewed with it were garlicy. I used it in all parts of the hopping schedule so I'm confident this last few ounces will also be OK. I actually used it the dry hop for a Deep Ellum IPA clone and it tasted great. Saying that it's not a hop that I will probably ever buy again, unless there is a beer with it in it that I really want to clone, but not in bulk.

Keen to hear how you go :)

I have an unopened pound of El Dorado I'm afraid to use. Mixed reviews. Lots of people say is a red jolly rancher flavor not in a good way.
Did you pick up any of that?

El Dorado is a very pleasent hop, albeit different. It's not your common citrus, piney, resiny hop. It's got a different personality and it's somewhat milder than the likes of Citra and Galaxy. Every time I used El Dorado, I got citrus, dank/green pineapple, some white must, candied cherries. I don't believe you should be afraid.

I’ve done SMaSHes with Summit that were pure delicious pineapple. Never gotten allium flavors from it. (As a whirlpool hop. I don’t think it’s a great boil hop.)

Just got this one in the fermenter. 20l at exactly 1.062 :rock:
Only thing that went a bit wrong was the whirlpool.
I tried one of those metal mesh tubes for the first time but the 170g hops was a bit too much for it so the aroma extraction was probably reduced. I'll go back to using a hop bag for that in future.
Should still turn out good though with over 300g dry hops there should be plenty of aroma :)

I have an unopened pound of El Dorado I'm afraid to use. Mixed reviews. Lots of people say is a red jolly rancher flavor not in a good way.

You definitely should try it and see if you like it. Everyone's tastes are different. I've been working through a pound myself and I think I like it as a supporting hop. One IPA I did it was the main hop and I did get some of that hard candy sweet flavor I've seen mentioned. I'm not sure about that one, although some people who tried it like it. I'm drinking a Columbus/El Dorado IPA right now which I really like, but the flavor is dominated by the Columbus.

El Dorado is a very pleasent hop, albeit different. It's not your common citrus, piney, resiny hop. It's got a different personality and it's somewhat milder than the likes of Citra and Galaxy. Every time I used El Dorado, I got citrus, dank/green pineapple, some white must, candied cherries. I don't believe you should be afraid.

You definitely should try it and see if you like it. Everyone's tastes are different. I've been working through a pound myself and I think I like it as a supporting hop. One IPA I did it was the main hop and I did get some of that hard candy sweet flavor I've seen mentioned. I'm not sure about that one, although some people who tried it like it. I'm drinking a Columbus/El Dorado IPA right now which I really like, but the flavor is dominated by the Columbus.

Agree with the above, I personally love El Dorado. It's a fantastic hop with a very unique profile that works especially well in IPA's. I've never skewed my hop addititons as El Dorado dominant, but works very well when blended with other tropical hops.

Just got this one in the fermenter. 20l at exactly 1.062 :rock:
Only thing that went a bit wrong was the whirlpool.
I tried one of those metal mesh tubes for the first time but the 170g hops was a bit too much for it so the aroma extraction was probably reduced. I'll go back to using a hop bag for that in future.
Should still turn out good though with over 300g dry hops there should be plenty of aroma :)

Nice! Always satisfying nailing your targets :rock:

I wouldn't worry too much about the whirlpool addition issues, as you mentioned the dry hop should take care of that (15g/L). I brew on both a Grainfather and 65L Brewzilla -- never had an issue with the filter of either unit (as mentioned in my blog post):

DSC08147.jpg

I've never skewed my hop addititons as El Dorado dominant, but works very well when blended with other tropical hops.

DSC08147.jpg

Correction; I've made a 6% IPA that was all El Dorado in the dry hop and it was an absolute melon bomb. Once again, I think crop variation comes into play here. But I distinctly remember it tasting like a honeydew melon lolly.

Hi. Great post. I'm gonna try it too. Would you recommand to add sugar when filling bottles for carbonatation purposes? If yes, in which proportions g/L ? Thanks

Kegging this right now. Put the dry hops in loose and it's a real PITA to transfer it from the bucket to the keg.
Any tips for next time apart from putting the hops in a bag?

Hi. Great post. I'm gonna try it too. Would you recommand to add sugar when filling bottles for carbonatation purposes? If yes, in which proportions g/L ? Thanks

I almost exclusively keg these days, so don't have any tips. I'd be very, very cautious trying to bottle conditioning a NEIPA (due to oxidisation). I'd typically target a normal ale type of carbonation level, or perhaps even a little bit lower, eg. 2.2-2.4 vol.

Kegging this right now. Put the dry hops in loose and it's a real PITA to transfer it from the bucket to the keg.

What type of fermenter do you use? I'm a big fan of pressurized fermenters with a floating dip-tube. In the past I've also used an SS Brewtech bucket with the rotating dip tube. Don't forget to give the beer a good, hard cold crash before transfer to drop out as much hop particulate as possible.

Otherwise a good old fashion BIAB style bag should help. With this much hops you really want to let them have good contact with beer.

I do a lot of heavily hopped/dry hopped beers and have issues here. I try to do closed transfers using CO2 to push the beer out of the carboy into the keg's liquid post and have had a lot of clogging issues, mostly in the carboy where hops just surround the end of the siphon and it badly reduces the flow. I'm sure cold crashing would help a lot, but I've tried to avoid that since the whole point of the closed transfer is keeping the beer AWAY from oxygen.

Anyways, what I find is I have to bag the dry hops, AND rig some sort of more robust filter over the siphon end. What I found works somewhat well is one of those big black binder clips clamped on the end of siphon, then a small mesh bag around that tied off. Basically the more surface area of filter I can create around the siphon the more luck I have. It is a PITA though. I'm still trying to improve

I do a lot of heavily hopped/dry hopped beers and have issues here. I try to do closed transfers using CO2 to push the beer out of the carboy into the keg's liquid post and have had a lot of clogging issues, mostly in the carboy where hops just surround the end of the siphon and it badly reduces the flow. I'm sure cold crashing would help a lot, but I've tried to avoid that since the whole point of the closed transfer is keeping the beer AWAY from oxygen.

Anyways, what I find is I have to bag the dry hops, AND rig some sort of more robust filter over the siphon end. What I found works somewhat well is one of those big black binder clips clamped on the end of siphon, then a small mesh bag around that tied off. Basically the more surface area of filter I can create around the siphon the more luck I have. It is a PITA though. I'm still trying to improve

When I dry hop in a keg, I put the hops into hop bags and suspend it by use of dental floss. At them moment, I just hang the floss outside of the lid and use the lid to hold it in place. Works well and seal is plenty for a forced transfer. I need to get one of the corny keg lids with the welded tab on the inside so the gasket on the lid is not compromised.

Sorry for replying so late. I use a 30L plastic bucket as a fermenter and one of those Chinese steel mesh cages at the end of a syphon tube. The the key is indeed to increase the surface area so it doesn't clog as quickly. The other beer I kegged on the same day had ''only'' 100 grams in the dry hop and it worked like a charm. I'll try to make something for next time I use so much hops.
Now I'm at the next stage where the beer has the hop burn taste. Last time I tasted it was a few days ago after 5 days in the keg so I'll leave it until this weekend and try again then. Hopefully it has improved by then :)

This to a tee!

When I dry hop in a keg, I put the hops into hop bags and suspend it by use of dental floss. At them moment, I just hang the floss outside of the lid and use the lid to hold it in place. Works well and seal is plenty for a forced transfer. I need to get one of the corny keg lids with the welded tab on the inside so the gasket on the lid is not compromised.

My most recent beer I fermented in carboy, closed transferred to purged keg with (bagged) dry hops, then transferred into water purged serving keg with jumpers when dry hopping was done. Seemed to work great, all smooth transfers. I'm going to try fermenting in a corny next

Correction; I've made a 6% IPA that was all El Dorado in the dry hop and it was an absolute melon bomb. Once again, I think crop variation comes into play here. But I distinctly remember it tasting like a honeydew melon lolly.
I recently made an 8.1% DIPA and used a 3:2:2:1 ratio of citra, mosaic, el dorado, and galaxy. Equal parts whirlpool and dry hop. I really didn't expect much from the el dorado considering the strength of the other hops, but the finished beer had an incredible honeydew melon thing going on that was very strong. It also had some very sweet candy like aspects to it. I have to say I'm torn on how much I liked it but it was definitely very noticeable.

I brewed this up about 10 days ago, couldn’t get my hands on galaxy so went citra instead and a little bit of vic secret. Love watching the color shift after a nice dry hop.... still trying to get my gravity to drop a little further, it’s at about 1.022. Usually by day 10 it’s dropped a bit more.

Last Thursday (day 6)
IMG_9637.JPG

Today (day 10, after 9oz dry hops)
IMG_9683.JPG

I brewed this up about 10 days ago, couldn’t get my hands on galaxy so went citra instead and a little bit of vic secret. Love watching the color shift after a nice dry hop.... still trying to get my gravity to drop a little further, it’s at about 1.022. Usually by day 10 it’s dropped a bit more.

Last Thursday (day 6)
View attachment 629614

Today (day 10, after 9oz dry hops)
View attachment 629615

Looking great, hope it turns out well for you. Would be nice to get it finishing at least down to 1.016, but regardless you'll still have a nice beer on your hand. Let us know how it goes.

Looking great, hope it turns out well for you. Would be nice to get it finishing at least down to 1.016, but regardless you'll still have a nice beer on your hand. Let us know how it goes.
Need to measure the pH and final gravity before posting my own experiment

So it finished at 1.020. Beer tasted fantastic, I actually think the slight sweetness did well balancing it all out. I've gotten positive feedback on it from everyone I sampled to, so I'll take that as a win.

So it finished at 1.020. Beer tasted fantastic, I actually think the slight sweetness did well balancing it all out. I've gotten positive feedback on it from everyone I sampled to, so I'll take that as a win.

Post a pic of what it looks like in the glass!

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.013
AVB: 6.35% (4g/liter of sugar when bottled)

I used MO instead of pils. Citra instead of Galaxy. Simcoe to compensate Dr Rudy. All in same proportions than your recipe.

Picture at week 8
U2KxQhS6Fbc.jpeg

Last edited:

1.020 is fine for a hazy/NEIPA. I've had several finish there and taste great. I would honestly be surprised if you did a blind taste test with a 1.015 NEIPA vs 1.020 with same recipe and anyone could reliably taste the difference.

Back