NEIPA question: How long to keep "bio transformed" hops in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I put in my hops at day 3, hoping to get some cool NEIPA experimentation type haze action. The plan is to keg and carb at 14-20 days depending on the flavor. However, that seems like a long time to let the hops just sit in there. I got them in a bag so I can remove them. Should I take them out at some point or just leave them in there until kegging time?

Thanks
B

My standard neipa time line:
- "bio" hops go in between 36-48 hours
- dry hops go in four days later when FG has been hit (yes, 5 days from pitching).
- cold crash four days later for two days
- then keg.

So, pitch to keg = 12 days. And I know there are folks that have cut a day or more off that.
For the $$ we're spending on mass quantities of juicy hops in these beers the last thing one should do is let the beer sit around unnecessarily letting the hop character attenuate...

Cheers!

My standard neipa time line:
- "bio" hops go in between 36-48 hours
- dry hops go in four days later when FG has been hit (yes, 5 days from pitching).
- cold crash four days later for two days
- then keg.

So, pitch to keg = 12 days.

Cheers!
Just did my first NEIPA using this schedule but an extra day cold before racking it. I was a little worried how well it was going to turn out with the 1ib of dry hop. With the juice yeast it cleared up nice. I can smell the hops 5 or 6 feet away when just poured.

I use 1318 for yeast mostly. I add the bio hops on day 3 and transfer to a keg on day 10. So I let them in there for 7 days.

Latest posts

Back