NEIPA dry hopping - diminishing returns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparger

Reaction score
I’ve seen some NEIPA recipes with tons of dry hopping, like 8 oz or more on various days. Is there a minimum and maximum amount of NEIPA dry hopping, in anyone’s opinion? My uneducated guess is you probably need a mixture of 5-6 oz as some sort of minimum (5 gal batch) with probably 1/2 of that during fermentation (for the hazy biotransformation effect). My other guess is that after about 9 oz, I personally wouldn't be able to taste the difference if you added more. I suspect I could see the difference (some NEIPAs look like OJ). Perhaps I am showing my ignorance of the NEIPA style here by asking this, but has anyone identified a reasonable upper limit on NEIPA dry hopping, where any additional hops after total x oz just didnt add more flavor, or the flavor returns were so dimished, it wasn’t worth the additional hops. I did come across this post https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/neipa-dry-hopping-dosage.569851/

For anything not IPAs, I use under 13-17 oz hops in total, for late boil additons+whirlpool+dry hopping.

Everything else does not go over 13 oz hops. My latest *hoppy* Blonde Ale ( smash ) with Loral used 9 oz hops and this was for late boil additions+whirlpool at a lower temperature. No dry hopping at all. The aroma and flavour are potent for a beer without any dry hopping.

I like what a whirlpool does to an IPA, so I add lots of hops there. I'm guessing you can use 15 oz in total for 5 gal., but you can definitely go much higher.

I had two nasty experiences with dry hopping IPAs, where the amount was around 10-13 oz only for dry hopping and it was a mess. Became better with time, but the in your face aroma, was also much less pronounced.

You'll probably get more replies over on the main NEIPA thread, but by way of how things change, Cloudwater were using 9g/l (= 6oz in 5 US gallons) dry hop in their DIPAs in 2016, and have now bumped it up to 24g/L (16oz) dry hop. And that's on top of a bittering charge of alpha extract and 7-10g/l in the copper/hopback. But they have access to a whole load of equipment not practical on a homebrew scale, like centrifuges to ensure that they don't lose too much beer in the hop debris.

You're right though, there are diminishing returns, although the rate at which it diminishes will depend on how good the rest of your process is - there's no point wasting pounds of hops on second-rate, oxidised beer.

According what Northern_Brewer has said above, I can concur that most "hoppy ", full loaded IPAs, tend to use lots of hops. My latest one ( 6.4% ABV + 100% Golden Promise + Amarillo and Citra + US-05 ) used around 21-22 gr hops per liter and it is very good, pungent, in your face, potent. ( at what a homebrewer level can get )

Back