Needing a little kick...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBKidJr

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new homebrewer, but I completed my third brew a little while ago, and I've noticed something: They all taste the same. Not exactly, but similar. My first was a Belgian IPA as a dedication to a friend who was moving who liked IPAs. I assumed that's just how that particular kit was supposed to taste. My second was a cranberry beer that someone on here had mentioned. I didn't make Thanksgiving, but I made it in time for Christmas. Still had a very similar taste. We could definitely taste the cranberry, but it was a completely different beer in terms of ingredients, and still had a very similar taste. My third was a Kolsch, which tasted great from the fermenter, but once I added the priming sugar and taste tested at 2 weeks, we found that very similar flavor that I just can't place. This flavor always mellows out a bit after the beer sits in the fridge for a while. For the cranberry ale, it was in the fridge for three months before it got better, but that similar flavor is still there. The Kolsch turned out pretty good after two weeks in the fridge, but again, similar.

I've narrowed down these issues to a few possibilities.

First, I'm cooking on an electric stovetop, so even with two burners going, I never get a really rapid, active boil. I get what I'd call "rolling waves." I've already acquired an outdoor gas cooker for the fourth.

Second, temperature. I keep the fermenter in a room at about 65-68 degrees, but I understand the temperature inside is warmer. I've read up to 10 degrees warmer. So the next one will also be kept cooler.

Third, water. I use spring water, but it's the only common factor in all three, so for my next one, I'm going to use a heavily filtered water from the tap. I've also considered distilled water or a different brand of spring water.

Fourth, all grain. Obviously using extract isn't preferred, but again, I'm new, and I'm pretty limited in space for all the equipment for the time being.

So for those that hung around for all of this long rant, I guess I'm looking for advice, opinions, and a bit of motivation.

Thanks in advance guys!

I think temp control would be a good first step.

Are you doing late-addition of your extract?

For the first two brews, I followed the directions and added the LME early. For the third, I didn't add the LME until the last 10-15 minutes (I don't have my little black book (recipe book) nearby for an exact time).

I would say the ferm temps and look into your process and make sure there is no room for any type of infection. Sanitize/sterilize the S*%t out of everything.

Even the extracts are different?

The IPA used a Pilsen LME and a wheat DME, and the second one used only extra light DME.

I would say the ferm temps and look into your process and make sure there is no room for any type of infection. Sanitize/sterilize the S*%t out of everything.

I was leaning more toward the temperatures than the other options. As far as infection, I'm probably leaning more toward overdoing the cleaning and sanitizing than underdoing it. Don't fear the foam, they say ;)

Sounds like you used good water. Maybe it is partly from the Cara 20L. Caramel sweet flavor it is.

Your temps are not all that bad.....better than mine for sure.

Did you use the same yeast for all 3 batches? Depending on the ferm temp, you might get the same flavors. I've noticed this, especially if I let the temp get a bit high on different beers using the same yeast. Just a thought...

Did you use the same yeast for all 3 batches? Depending on the ferm temp, you might get the same flavors. I've noticed this, especially if I let the temp get a bit high on different beers using the same yeast. Just a thought...

I agree with BoilerBrewer. If you use the same yeast, your brews WILL taste similar. Branch out! Try different strains! There is a local microbrewery that obviously uses the same strain for all brews, and their porter, pale ale, and IPA all taste identical. Silly. You got to mix things up!

I agree with BoilerBrewer. If you use the same yeast, your brews WILL taste similar. Branch out! Try different strains! There is a local microbrewery that obviously uses the same strain for all brews, and their porter, pale ale, and IPA all taste identical. Silly. You got to mix things up!

This was the first thing that I thought to suggest (and ask about) too. Are you using the same yeast strain over and over again, perhaps for the sake of price (e.g. something like a cheaper Cooper's or Munton's dry ale yeast)? Charlie Papazian says in "The Joy of Home Brewing" that yeast is the ingredient that has the single most influence on the taste of a beer, and based on my own experience I heartily agree with that.

I, for one, am a big fan of White Labs' products, and have used many of them. They've given my beers a variety of flavors, aromas, cloudiness, etc. all by themselves. I would strongly encourage looking into using some more exotic strains of yeast if you haven't been doing that already, and I'd be happy to make some suggestions. They're definitely worth the price, in my opinion!

Is it also possible that you are drinking your beers too young? Perhaps they all taste the same because they are still green.

Nope. I've used three different yeasts. The first was White Labs Saison WLP565, the second was one of the smack packs of which variety I can't remember, and the third was a WL's German Ale/Kolsch WLP029.

Is it also possible that you are drinking your beers too young? Perhaps they all taste the same because they are still green.

I considered this. As I said, the cranberry ale tasted alot better after it had been in the fridge around three months, and the Kolsch was from brew to most recent consumption (this past weekend) 8 weeks old. It DID taste a quite a bit better after being in the fridge for three-ish weeks, but still has that same flavor. I'm leaning pretty heavy to the lack of a violent boil and perhaps a warm fermenter.

Latest posts

Back