Needed for experience: 1 gallon SMaSH recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon111

Reaction score
Good day.

It's simple: I need 1 gallon SMaSH recipes. Firstly because the pot just isn't bigger, and secondly I want to build experience in using different hops, yeasts and malts.

Ingredients aren't much of a problem, I have plenty to try around, but the batch just cannot be bigger than 1 gallon.

Anyone here can help out? I tried downscaling recipes but the numbers don't really look right to me (tried BrewSmith among others).

Part of brewing SMaSH beers is designing the recipe yourself since it's basically a matter of deciding what gravity you want and what hop schedule.

But since you are asking, here are the last couple of 1 gallon SMaSH brews I have done with success.

I work in metric, these are 5 litres into the fermentor, approx 3.8 litres (1 gallon) bottled. My water profile is close to RO water so these minerals will be good with RO water, or calculate it yourself for your own water.

------------
Maris Otter / NZ Fuggles SMaSH ESB
------------
970g Maris Otter
30g Acidulated malt (optional for pH adjustment)
5g NZ fuggles 7.8% @ 60
5g NZ fuggles 7.8% @ 15
5g NZ fuggles 7.8% @ 5
10g NZ fuggles 7.8% @ 0
Wyeast 1450 Denny's favourite 50 yeast (repitched from slurry)

Brewhouse efficiency 75%
OG 1.047
FG 1.010
IBU 40
Mash 60 mins 2.6L 0.26g Gypsum + CaCl2 at 67c
Sparge 5.8L 0.6g Gypsum + CaCl2
Ferment at 19c

------------
Maris Otter / Simcoe SMaSH APA
------------
1000g Maris Otter
60g Table sugar @ 10
3g Simcoe 13% @ 20
3g Simcoe 13% @ 15
3g Simcoe 13% @ 10
3g Simcoe 13% @ 5
6g Simcoe 13% @ 0
6g Simcoe 13% @ dryhop 5 days
1/5 pack S-05 dry yeast

Brewhouse efficiency 80%
OG 1.055
FG 1.008
IBU 36
Mash 60 mins 2.6L at 67c
Sparge 5.8L
Ferment at 18c

This one was done before I started adjusting water but if I was doing it today I would add 20g acidulated malt and 2.5g Gypsum + 0.5g CaCl2 (split between mash and sparge). I would also suggest adding the sugar 3 days into fermentation, although it works fine in the kettle too.

Part of brewing SMaSH beers is designing the recipe yourself since it's basically a matter of deciding what gravity you want and what hop schedule.

But since you are asking, here are the last couple of 1 gallon SMaSH brews I have done with success.

I work in metric, these are 5 litres into the fermentor, approx 3.8 litres (1 gallon) bottled. My water profile is close to RO water so these minerals will be good with RO water, or calculate it yourself for your own water.
<>

This one was done before I started adjusting water but if I was doing it today I would add 20g acidulated malt and 2.5g Gypsum + 0.5g CaCl2 (split between mash and sparge). I would also suggest adding the sugar 3 days into fermentation, although it works fine in the kettle too.

Excellent, thank you very much! Next weekend is gonna be a busy one :mug:

Note: I do 1.25 gallon recipes. I just bottled this one. I use bottled spring water. Initial taste out of the fermenter (warm/flat) was awesome. Hop forward and you get the lemon/citrus taste, very smooth and not harsh. Can't wait till it carbonates.

2.750 lb Vienna Malt
0.140 oz Citra @ 60 min
0.140 oz Citra @ 10 min
0.200 oz Citra @ 1 min
1/4 teaspoon Irish Moss @ 15 min
Safale US-05 yeast

MO/Citra, US-05 was a solid smash I did. Did a 3gal batch and don't remember the specifics off the top of my head but it came out at 5%, dry hopped with 2x wort hops

Don't try to downscale. Choose a basemalt, use a calculator to determine the OG you want. Select a yeast, use the calculator to determine when and how much you want for IBUs. There are many ways to use the hops to get the same IBU but the flavor/feel will be different.

This is the beauty of doing a SMaSH. You can experiment using the same ingredients in different amounts and see what changes and what you prefer. It also give an idea of the malts or hops contribution to a more complicated recipe.

Most of all have fun experimenting.

any recipe will do. Just divide it, if it's a larger batch than you want to make. If it's a 5 gallon batch, divide by 5. If it's a 2 gallon batch, divide in half.

1 gallon recipes have the annoying habit of using small amounts of hop, around the accuracy of the scale itself. So specific recipes keeping that in mind are not so easy as "divide by x if the batch is x gallons".

1 gallon recipes have the annoying habit of using small amounts of hop, around the accuracy of the scale itself. So specific recipes keeping that in mind are not so easy as "divide by x if the batch is x gallons".

Well, it really IS that easy- but you need an accurate scale. I bought one for about $20 a number of years ago, and I can measure from 10 pounds to .1 of a gram with it. I'm sure they cost more now, but I still use it all the time. I use it when I make soap, where I need to measure in the 1/10 of a gram range, and when I brew and need ounces of hops or pounds of grain.

Without a scale, that would be a problem but it would also be a problem even with a recipe for a 1 gallon batch. I mean, .15 ounce is the same whether it started at .75 ounce for 5 gallons or for original .15 ounce for 1 gallon.

It really is that simple. A recent batch I made was 10 lbs of Maris Otter and 1 oz/28 grams of Kent Goldings at 60, 10 and 5 minutes. For a one gallon batch, that's 2 lbs of Maris Otter and roughly 6 grams of hops at each addition.

Back