Need your opinion on something at work.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it reasonable to coach a manager for not showing up?

• Yes it is reasonable.

• No it's not reasonable.

Results are only viewable after voting.
In my opinion It's just work, companies don't care enough about employees to justify putting my life at risk. If I don't think I can make it safely, I'm not coming in and I don't care how it makes any of my co-workers feel. My safety trumps their feelings. I wouldn't ask employees to sleep at the store, making an employee sleep at a store is pretty illegal unless you're paying them for their time. You can't dictate what nonexempt employees do in their off time without providing compensation. Getting a ride might not work if they live way outta the way. If it's obvious that some person is just being a jackass and abusing the system calling in every time there's a light dusting then I would reprimand that person, but I would trust my employees to know their limits.

If the manager in question has sick/vacation days available and chooses to use them instead of potentially risking his/her life then I would say they made a good decision. It is also possible the manager in question could make it in late or leave early on serious snow events with no ramifications. Or possibly rearrange their work schedule with another manager to minimize exposure to said snow event.

Under the circumstances stated by the OP, I had to vote "unreasonable." Not everybody owns or can afford to own a 4x4. If a winter storm makes it difficult, or impossible for someone to get to work, there's likely not much anybody can do but try to notify their supervisor or fellow employees of the situation & do the best they can to do what needs to be done in order to get to work; but if that means risking life, limb & property, that's just foolish. If there's 3 inches of ice on the road, I'm staying home. I live on a mountain & the road is steep & twists about in places. Even with 4wd, you can still end up going off the road in winter & it's a long way down. Unless you're delivering a heart for transplant or you're repelling an invasion, work will just have to wait. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back