Need to take less time on bottling day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhathazy

Reaction score
To begin with here, I am embarrassed to say how long my bottling day takes. I do think I have identified something that could save me some time. As I drink my home brew, I soak the bottles at least 24 hours in oxy clean and water, scrub them with brush and rinse with jet washer and put on bottle tree to dry. When dry, I store the bottles upside down in the case until I use them to bottle again. On bottle day, I once again rinse them with the jet washer before I sanitize. Am I wasting time rinsing the bottles again on bottling day and should I just sanitize the bottles without rinsing again?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Dave

I buy the big one step container. I have my bottle bucket full of the mixture. Lowes has a small plastic cement mixing cotainer adout 5 bucks. I also fill a spray bottle fullof the soultion. I put the bottle tree in the container and spray it good. I fill the bottles one at a time through the valve. I leave them full and stand them up in the comtainer.once i have no room left i remove the tree start to dump the bottles back into the bot bucket i leave a small amount in the bottl and put my thumb over it and shake the hell out of it du p the rest into the bucket and ha g it on the tree.repeat-

I clean the bottles one day and let them dry... then sanitize and bottle another day.

Break up the process so it does not fell like work...

Same for my brewing which some days is a three (3) day process not including Kegging

Set up one day: (about an hour)
  1. Grind grain
  2. Pull out brewing structure
  3. Attach gas
  4. Run extenstion cord
  5. Fill hot water kettle.
  6. Put fermentors and Kegs in place
  7. Put heat exchanger in place
  8. Get water hoses and connectors in place

Brew (depends on how many batches)
  1. Sanitize pump and tubing
  2. Sanitize Fermentor
  3. Mash, Brew, and move to fermentor
  4. Clean Kegs for the beer that is brewing

Clean up and put away (1-2 hours)
  1. Put away brewing structure
  2. disconnect gas
  3. put away extenstion cord
  4. Put Kegs away
  5. Put heat exchanger in away
  6. Get water hoses and connectors in place

The only reason to rinse them on bottling day is if they're dusty or something. Otherwise, I just fill a wide container (former bottom drawer of a fridge) with sanitizer and throw as many in there as possible, then roll them around a little. When I bottle I grab one from the tub, swirl-drain it, then fill it. Probably 12-18 bottles fits in the tub. You can just grab new ones and put them in (keep them next to your chair while you bottle) as you go.

If you rinse them well after drinking them there's really no reason for extensive cleaning, either.

Yeah when I sanitize I use the Vinator so that part doesn't take me very long. I know the bottles are clean so I think I will skip the additional bottling day rinsing and go right to sanitizing. Now, I need to figure out some other time savers! Thanks.

Yeah when I sanitize I use the Vinator so that part doesn't take me very long. I know the bottles are clean so I think I will skip the additional bottling day rinsing and go right to sanitizing. Now, I need to figure out some other time savers! Thanks.

tre9er is suggesting skipping the oxiclean soak and scrubbing, and I agree. If you rinse the bottles well immediately after you pour your beer, you don't need to do any further cleaning. I never soak my own bottles unless I'm delabeling.

I know some people dont like clear bottles. But thats all i ever use i rinse each one after i drink it.

Revvy - I have read your sticky and I do use the method of attaching the wand direct to the bucket spout with the bucket elevated so I can sit comfortably. Let me go over it again and as it says, I need to "dial in my process" to get it streamlined. Thanks.

tre9er is suggesting skipping the oxiclean soak and scrubbing, and I agree. If you rinse the bottles well immediately after you pour your beer, you don't need to do any further cleaning. I never soak my own bottles unless I'm delabeling.

I agree, but also suggest rinsing in hot water. I haven't done a comparison vs cold water, but hot water seems like a good idea. What do you rinse with - hot or cold?

I do rinse with hot tap water. As long as there's no visible sediment left in there and they don't smell like beer after you rinse them, you're good to go.

I bottled yesterday. From time I turned on the pot with the proming sugar water on the stove until I capped my last bottle was right about two hours. Looks like still slow compared to some of you but it was a big improvement for me. Making use of the time the priming sugar is boiling/cooling to do stuff instead of standing around waiting is a big help. I'm sure if I keepworking on my process I can keep cutting more time off. Already much improved though, now can't wait to drink my Saison!

Back