Need to know....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew_101

Reaction score
I was wondering if my beer was ready to bottle. The beer is an Oktoberfest. It was in primary for 14 days. then in the secondary for 2 months . SG was 1.072 Just checked it yesterday and got a reading of 1.021. Just wondering if that is ok. Kit didn't come with any guidelines as to what they should be. Also should I siphon a little of the yeast in the bottom into the bottleling bucket to get good bottle carbing. Thanks in advance.

Ten weeks, it's as fermented as it will get. A little yeast can't hurt, but it probably isn't needed.

i'd check the og over the course of a few more days. it seems a little high, the "style" guideline says a FG of 1.012-1.016, but your OG is high for the style also. according to brewsmith, that gives you an ABV of 6.7%, so it's your call, i know people say fermentation can take longer in certain instances, but i'd wager that it's done what it's going to after 44 days.

you shouldn't need to siphon any yeast into the bucket, some will end up in there anyway.

At what temp has the beer been fermenting at? If it is much below 70F, it will stall fermentation depending on the yeast you used.

IF it has been at good temps, I'd bottle.

What yeast was used?
Oktoberfests are generally lagers and those temps would be fine/a little warm for a lager yeast. But if was was a beginner kit it was most likely an Oktoberfest style ale where 50's maybe be a little low and can cause at least a slow fermentation if not stalling of yeast. If it is an ale give it a gentle swirl and raise it to 65-70 and check it in a couple days. If no change bottle it.
Also was it an extract kit, PM, AG?

1020 is a fairly common phenomenon. AKA the 1020 curse. You should be fine as far as bombs go. Beer maybe be a little sweeter than expected but probably not noticed. Is your hydrometer calibrated and was the reading taken at it's calibration temp?

Check it in water at 60F, distilled water if you want to be very precise, the reading should be 1.000. The hydro should be marked with what temp the scale is valid for. There are correction tables in John Palmers online Book "How to Brew"

Back