Need to be erlynmeyer flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can make a yeast starter in darn near any sanitized container (including a 2L plastic soda bottle). If using on a stir plate, the biggest consideration is that it have a flat bottom to avoid problems with the stir bar.

That would work. Any container with a flat bottom will work. I had looked at beakers also. Thought the high form would be better because of the smaller diameter than the low form. High form beakers of large enough size were just to expensive.

This is what I use now. Cost $5.98. Worked so well went back and bought another on sale for $4.99.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/new-yeast-starter-container-61619.html

I use gallon or half gallon glass jars. Anything glass will work, it's just a matter of if you're using a stir plate and if it can grab the stir bar through whatever you're using.

Is there a reason that this wouldn't work for a yeast starter?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UKI65K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

All 5 L erlynmeyer flasks that I have seen are over $60 but this seems to be a good alternative. Or is there a reason why this wouldn't work?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Your Google-fu must be weak. There are plenty of 5L Erlenmeyers for less than $60

This one is $34.95

This one is $35.99

This one is $39.95

This one is $49.95

Last edited by a moderator:
the flask are made from pyrex, less chance of braking plus can be heated up repeatedly without breakage problems
just a thought
yes they are expensive, but their is a reason and that is safety

Flasks have a small opening making it easier to keep things from falling into them (like dust and other bugs) they are also a bit easier to decant. Otherwise a beaker would be fine.
Also basically all lab glass is borosilicate and can be used for boiling. That is not an advantage of a flask vs a beaker, but good to have anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

The MAIN idea behind using an erlenmeyer is that you can boil, cool, and stir all in the same vessel, because the narrow neck reduces boiloff and the borosilicate glass can go from boiling to cool water without shattering.

If you make starters in something else, you need to boil in a pot, cool, and then transfer to another sanitized container, which is a bit more hassle and dishwashing, but totally doable.

They look like good deals, but the OP was specifically asking about 5 liter flasks.

Please disregard. We now return you to you original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back