Need suggestions for my next brew, tomorrow !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
My wife suggested I brew another batch of beer for summer. I've done 3 3 gallon batches thus far, a ginger peach ale that we are drinking now, a cranberry ale and a Corona clone.

We like lighter beers and fruit beers. She wants it to be a summer beer, something crisp and refreshing. I like moderately hopped pilsners.

Any suggestions ?

You could always do a wheat beer. You doing extract? Either do a hefe (VERY easy), or you could do a fruited wheat beer, using either real fruit or extract. Not my thing, personally, but it might be something you would like.

Do a hefeweizen. Great summer brew IMO. Kick the fermentation temp up to 72-73 and you will have a nice fruity (naturally) beer.

I plan to do one in the next few weeks.

:mug:
brewman ! said:
My wife suggested I brew another batch of beer for summer. I've done 3 3 gallon batches thus far, a ginger peach ale that we are drinking now, a cranberry ale and a Corona clone.

We like lighter beers and fruit beers. She wants it to be a summer beer, something crisp and refreshing. I like moderately hopped pilsners.

Any suggestions ?

If you want something different you could do a english cider.

5 gal or pasteurized Apple Juice
2 oz of yeast nutrient "DAP"
1 nottingham yeast pack
Follow the simple 1-2-3 rule;
1 week in Primary,
2 weeks in 2ndary,
3 weeks carbing​
Carb as normal. - 3/4 cup corn sugar

It will be dry light and fruity but also crisp. It tastes good in summer.

You could do a standard pale but hop with Nelson Sauvin - AAU:12-14%

BEERTOOLS: Nelson Sauvin - New Zealand - Early trials with Nelson Sauvin immediately revealed it to be somewhat different in its brewing character than other hop cultivars. This variety imparts certain grape like flavours to the beer; flavours which have yet to be positively identified. To acknowledge this Sauvignon Blanc flavour the variety was named Nelson Sauvin.

If you do the Nelson Pale Ale let us know how it goes. I've been thinking about trying this.

My suggestion would be an Apricot Wheat. Brew a nice crisp, clean American wheat, and either add actual apricot puree to the secondary for a real apricot taste, or you can add apricot extract at bottling/kegging time.

I like the hefe's alright, but you'd better love the flavor of clove.

I brewed two good summer ales the last two weekends...

A Beglian Wit (aka Bluemoon) and a Blonde Ale.

Both are light and crisp and the Belgian has a nice orange and coriander tone. It's also a lighter session style so good to quench the thirst without too much buzz....

Hmmm... interesting ideas, guys. I never thought of doing a wheat beer. I'm doing 3 gallon batches and I don't want to spend $9 on a liquid yeast. Could I use a dry ale or lager yeast with a wheat beer and still get something good ?

Tell me more about the blonde ale. What does it taste like ?

brewman ! said:
She wants it to be a summer beer, something crisp and refreshing. Any suggestions ?

Did you say Crisp & Refreshing for Summer? Well now, I have just the thing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

Chilled & carbed, this stuff is amazingly crisp & refreshing on a hot summer day after working in the yard. It's also brain dead easy to make. Be careful though, the Surgeon General thinks it may have some dependency problems :D

Remember, you can re-use the yeast a couple of times, so if you make three batches a good liquid yeast is only $3 a batch. I thought I saw a new dried wheat yeast on the market, but it's new, I have no idea if it's any good, and I'm not sure how easily you'de be able to put your hands on it. You certainly can't make a hefe without the proper yeast, so if you go that route, I'd be sticking at least to "American" or fruit-wheat beers, where the yeast flavor is not the dominant flavor (like it is with a hefe).

EdWort said:
Did you say Crisp & Refreshing for Summer? Well now, I have just the thing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

Chilled & carbed, this stuff is amazingly crisp & refreshing on a hot summer day after working in the yard. It's also brain dead easy to make. Be careful though, the Surgeon General thinks it may have some dependency problems :D

I've already got an appfelwein, Ed ! We are just starting to drink it ! It is great, but I find it more of a winter drink than a summer drink.

Hmm... interesting idea on reusing the yeast. I actually have 6 1 quart jars of sterilized wort ready to use for yeast harvesting, but I've never done it.

The wort was collected from a previous brew session, put into quart sealers and pressure cooked to ensure everything was sterile.

So you are saying I could harvest a bit of yeast from a brew I do with the liquid yeast and grow it in some of my sterilized starter ? How long will it keep ? I'm winding down brewing for the winter and probably won't be brewing again until the fall.

Man, this is a great website. I knew about yeast harvesting and such, but never really considered it until you just mentioned it. Thanks !

brewman ! said:
Hmmm... interesting ideas, guys. I never thought of doing a wheat beer. I'm doing 3 gallon batches and I don't want to spend $9 on a liquid yeast. Could I use a dry ale or lager yeast with a wheat beer and still get something good ?

Tell me more about the blonde ale. What does it taste like ?

Blone Ale...Light, crisp and just a tad citrus. It's in the Belgian family and as such makes a nice warm weather brew. A variation would be to add some dried orange peel bitter and some crushed coriander to make it more of a Beglian Wit and give it a "Blue Moon" feel.

brewman ! said:
Recipe please !

Brewman, I just kegged this one. Very similar to the Blonde ale in that it is in the Belgian family. If your SWMBO likes blue moon, or a slightly citrusy (spicy) flavor, she'll like this one.

Easy AG too. Click Here for the recipe and a pic.

A Blonde Ale is similar, but you would exclude the coriander and orange bitters...

*laughs... its a BLONDE ale !

And note my sig, there are a couple ales ! However they are pretty light. The crystal malt guys won't get rich on me. I'm drinking the ginger peach ale these days. It didn't turn out quite right due to the whole microwave mashing experiment, but its still good.

Brew on !

Hey Fly... have you ever tasted Wildrose's Raspberry Ale ? They only have it in summer. I can't wait for it. Moose Macguire's has it on tap usually. We seriously need to clone it !

BierMuncher: you hit the nail on the head with that brew. I'll be doing it next. I didn't get a recipe selected to brew last night, so I'll have to do it next weekend.

brewman ! said:
*laughs... its a BLONDE ale !

And note my sig, there are a couple ales ! However they are pretty light. The crystal malt guys won't get rich on me. I'm drinking the ginger peach ale these days. It didn't turn out quite right due to the whole microwave mashing experiment, but its still good.

Brew on !

Hey Fly... have you ever tasted Wildrose's Raspberry Ale ? They only have it in summer. I can't wait for it. Moose Macguire's has it on tap usually. We seriously need to clone it !

Ah yes, I guess you did also mention the cranberry ale in your post and in your steam mash thread. I am just thick. But we are still going to subvert you to the dark side one day (browns, porters, and stouts!).

And yes, I LOVE their raspberry ale. I actually have an EASY idea to make one. Just do up BierMuncher's blonde ale recipe, and prime it with SunRype pure raspberry juice! I bet it would work! That's the juice that comes in the 1L tetra-packs, so it's even pasteurized/sterilized.

But I would certainly be willing to do a 'proper' version, too, with real raspberries.

Back