Need Suggestion for NW IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vio0633

Reaction score
I have been looking for an IPA recipe that will yield a heavy malt, dark brown color, sweet caramel flavor, and a nice hint of citrus aroma to it. Alot of brews here in WA state have this distinctive color and flavor but im having a hard time figuring out what I need for an all grain recipe to do. I made something like this...but im still not getting that nice heavy maltness im looking for. Any help or suggestions??

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 72.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Gravity Color
10.00 lbs 90.91 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 1.036 2.0
0.25 lbs 2.27 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 1.033 2.0
0.25 lbs 2.27 % Honey Malt 1.037 25.0
0.50 lbs 4.55 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 1.034 40.0

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 33.04 Centennial 60 mins 10.00
1.00 ozs 29.00 Centennial 40 mins 10.00
2.00 ozs 22.02 Cascade 20 mins 5.50
0.50 ozs Dry Hop

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Northwest Ale Wyeast Labs 1332

Additions
(none)

I do like Redhook's ESB color and flavor....but it doesnt have that citrusy hop flavor or aroma to it.

Subscribed. You can't find a beer that matches a NW IPA in the rest of the country. How I miss the PNW.

I've wondered about this myself. One thought I had was to use the grist bill from an English IPA with an American hop schedule. Haven't tried it, I'm making an English IPA in a couple of weeks, and if the malt is right I might try it again with American hops.

I have found these threads about Total Domination from Ninkasi:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15437

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ninkasi-ipa-recipe-help-133187/

I would drop the 40 min down to 20 and the 20 min down to 10. 2 oz dry hop would also be nice. Also, 7 days primary might not be enough. Go at least 2 weeks or let the gravity decide...

What is the FG? I am not at home to run it in some software but I am thinking a bit of sugar to finish dryer maybe? Having a brain fart in the effect being dryer will have on the malt flavor after you back off the hops as Poobah suggests. What brand/micro brew are you trying to clone?

VB

I try to hit HUB's IPA profile for my IPAs. It is a classic NW IPA and one of my favorites.

Their website gives enough information to go off of.

Our namesake IPA is a Northwest classic. Generous additions of Amarillo, Centennial, and Cascade hops find their way into the kettle, hop-back, and dry-hop. This judicious use of the "brewers spice" creates rich and resinous flavors of citrus fruit and pine. The finest organic Canadian pilsner malt and organic Munich and Caramel malts then bring balance to your new favorite beer.

6.6% ABV

15 Degrees Plato OG

75 IBU

Add some Knock Out hops to fudge a hop back addition.

What can I use to add more malt flavor to it? Its kinda hard to describe...lol. But the heavy malt flavor and caramel tang to it is what I love the most. I can add the hops as necessary. Just looking for a good starting point on my grains.

What is the FG? I am not at home to run it in some software but I am thinking a bit of sugar to finish dryer maybe? Having a brain fart in the effect being dryer will have on the malt flavor after you back off the hops as Poobah suggests. What brand/micro brew are you trying to clone?

VB

I hit a 1.014 on it. I had it in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks. I took this recipe and made it with extract. My first all grain brew session is coming up here soon. Would like to try and get a good recipe down for it :)

I am a big fan of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. You cloud try cloning that with some NW hops, see how that turns out. It is a very simple recipe and there are several versions on the web.

VB

Latest posts

Back