Need some quick fermenting advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineshop

Reaction score
Hi. I just brewed an IPA (big IPA, sort of an east coast style with a ton of hops, and dual dry hop additions).

I brewed it on Tuesday Jan 13. My intentions were to brew 10 days, dry hop 4. Go to secondary for 10 days, dry hop for 4. Bottle a week or so later. However, I just discovered I'm going to be working straight nights for almost the entire next month (12hour shifts). So I won't be able to stick to that schedule. I'll either be working or sleeping.

Would it be a problem if I went:
17 days in primary, 4 days of dry hop.
17 days in secondary, 4 days of dry hop.
Bottle in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks, y'all!

I'd say you could just do 17 days in primary, then dry hop for 4 days, then add the second dose of dry hops for another 4 days, then bottle. I think the 17 day secondary is unnecessary.

Or you could just move to secondary after 17 days, and do the dry hopping schedule I mentioned all in secondary.

Would it be a problem if I went:
17 days in primary, 4 days of dry hop.
17 days in secondary, 4 days of dry hop.
Bottle in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks, y'all!

I don't see any problem with this schedule. I'm normally a secondary-hater but I think this is a good example of when you'd want to do one, because it serves the dual purpose of getting your beer off the yeast and also separating two different dry hop stages without having to get a bag involved. I say go for it, just be careful with your transfers- nothing kills hops like oxygen.

Thanks, guys for the advice. I'll keep both of those in mind.

I say go for it, just be careful with your transfers- nothing kills hops like oxygen.

I think I'm careful! I pop off the top (currently in a bucket) and use a racking cane, transfer to a carboy and re-stopper. Are there any particular dangers I should be aware of while doing this?? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Back