Need some input for a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MockY

Reaction score
I have about 40 batches of all grain batches under my belt at this point using mainly batch sparging but will throw in a fly sparge and BIAB batch for good measure depending on who's joining the brew session. All have been either 5 or 10 gallon batches and I've brewed anything from SMaSH beer to spiced stouts. Besides a couple stouts, the grain bill has been fairly simple. The bulk of the recipes comprise of either 2-row or Pale Ale, or a mix of them both, with a crystal or two tossed in, sometimes Munich, and dextrin and/or wheat for mouthfeel and head retention.
In other words, pretty straight forward Ales and an occasional dark lager.

This time I'd like to spice it up just a little by adding 5 specialty malts into the mix. Like I'm sitting in the middle of a meadow (where plenty of wild flowers grow). I'm calling it "Casket in the Meadow". So I'd like opinions other than mine before actually brew this concoction. Should I add even more specialty malts, change the amounts...and so forth?

So here it is:

Batch Size: 6 gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Efficiency: 75%
OG: 1.056
IBU: 30
SRM: 6

FERMENTABLES
10lb 2-Row
0.5lb Vienna
0.5lb Wheat Malt
0.5lb Biscuit
0.5lb Munich Light
1.5oz Pale Chocolate

HOPS
FWH - 0.4oz Amarillo 9.3%
FWH - 0.4oz Cascade 7%
15 min - 0.5oz Amarillo 9.3%
15 min - 0.5oz Cascade 7%
Whirpool - 1oz Amarillo 9.3%
Whilpool - 1oz Cascade 7%
Dryhop - 1oz Citra
Dryhop - 0.5oz Amarillo
Dryhop - 0.5oz Cascade

YEAST
Dry English Ale Yeast White Labs WLP007 (decanted 1.6l starter)

Single infusion batch sparge @ 152

What I'm looking for is a malt forward beer with a pleasant (not aggressive) bitterness with plenty of aroma. Like if you're chewing on some mildly bitter straw of a grass while smelling the flowers (again, while in the middle of an endless meadow.

That should be fine. A half lb of vienna and munich is pretty much at the taste threshold. 4% biscuit on the other hand will be the dominant flavor. The less than 1% pale chocolate may give a very faint coffee like note. The wheat will add a bit of head retention, maybe. But i dont see this as malt forward at all (not that it wont be easy to drink). If you want it more malty change out the base malt to marris otter or something, or significantly up the vienna and munich malts. But maybe malt forward means something different in your mental framework.

And if you are going for floral meadow, id consider some more subtle non-grapefruit hops. Like pallisade, kent goldings, saaz, hallertau tradition, crystal, etc.

Back