Need some help painting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmac85

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer that I got off craigslist awhile back and fixed up for a ferm chamber. Thing works like a dream. I didn't get to brew for about 8 months and had to clean it out to prep for a batch. While cleaning I noticed some of the rust spots I had fixed came back and the paint was flaking. I have a week off of work coming up that I plan to work on some projects (finally installing a ball lock and thermometer in my keggle!!!!). One is to repaint the freezer. The top of the thing is bubbly. The paint sticks but its a very rough texture. I wanted to sand it down but I was nervous about over sanding. Last time I paints I used appliance spray paint that seems ot have help up ok but it really needs about 5 more coats.

My question is can I use a powered sander on this without sanding right through the shell? If so what grit to use for a nice finish? Any better paint than Rust-oleum appliance spray paint?

The metal shell of an ice box is thicker then you'd think so I thing a power sander would be fine. But I think I would use an angle grinder with a wire wheel

Back