Need some help here please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudd

Reaction score
The only equipment I have is the kit I got for my birthday and now someone is making me an offer because they want to get rid of there old stuff. I want to know if this is a good deal or if I'm getting ripped off. He wants 82$ US for:

4 glass carboys-one with airlock
2 plastic containers of the 6 gallon variety-one with airlock
Filter and Pump(type Bon Jovi with applicable tubing)
Bottle pressure washer
Bottle Stand for drying
Attachment for washing bottles(hooks up to laundry faucet)
Bottle corking machine(for wine)
2 plastic water containers
hydrometer and other small nameless things

That is the list he e-mailed me, I don't even know what the filter and pump is at all, maybe something to do with wine?

Anyways any opinion about this would be good to know cause I have no idea how much this stuff costs. Also, how much are airlocks? I will probably need to buy them for the carboys and bucket that don't have them.

Thanks for the replies this was really bothering me. My brother actually is turning his basement into a huge wine/beer making pit of wonderfulness so I was planning on using three of the carboys as primaries and the two plastics with my plastic as secondaries.

Dude.. if YOU don't want that gear, send ME his email address!!!

5 gallon carboys are about $20 each, so that price is GREAT!

airlocks cost about $1 each. cheap items.

-walker

As long as they are in decent condition, that's a good deal. Like Walker said, the carboys alone retail for 20$ a pop. What kind of bottle stand are you talking? Some of those cost a few bucks retail as well.

Believe it or not, you want to make sure you don't pick up too much stuff. 4 carboys is a lot depending on how much you brew. If you aren't careful, suddenly you are sitting on a mountain of "stuff" of which you use maybe 1/3 of it on a regular basis.

I just recently went through a purge. I had two utilty shelves (4 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and about 6 feet tall) full of "stuff". One day I realized I only used a fraction of it on a regular basis. I'm now down to one shelf and I couldn't be happier. The reduction of clutter is worth a lot. If you are just starting out, pick your equipment very carefully.

Prosit!

good point. I have yet to get too much stuff, but I can see where you are coming from. I have too much computer gear. I threw away a TON of machines and hardware, and I still have a bunch left.

As for Fudd handling this, I would take the whole lot of stuff, keep the best/most useful stuff for yourself, and then re-sell what you don't want (wine gear?) to recoup some of your $82.

-walker

Back