Need some help determining my efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
Ok, so I did my first All Grain BIAB this past weekend and I shot for the stars and tried knocking out 10 gallons of beer in a 15 gallon kettle.

My bag and hoist handled it fine, the burner was an issue but I got it to a boil.

But my efficiency is something I am wondering about. I bought a Monster Mill 2.0 and milled all my grains once. I only did them once because it looked to produced some flour like dust and I didn't want to over do it.

I mashed at 154 for 90 minutes. I hit my temp spot on using the simple BIAB Calculator and I have a insulation jacket I made for my kettle.

My Pre-boil gravity was 1.034 and my post boil gravity was 1.050. That seemed like an awful low preboil gravity but in the end, I actually overshot my target final gravity of 1.046.

Can anyone shed some light on what my efficiency should be?

Below is my grain bill. I doubled the amounts to make a 10 gallon batch.

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.0 %
1 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (6.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (19.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 6 5.0 %

Plugging in your recipe over on hopville (http://beercalculus.hopville.com) gives an efficiency of about 70%.

It's pretty straight forward to calculate efficiency by hand, but you'll need to lookup the sugar content of the grains you're using first:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-5.html

How long did you boil for? Those pre/post boil gravities means you had a 14.7gal pre-boil volume.....

And that is about right for what I mashed with. Once I removed the grains I lost about 1.5 gallons or so after a hard squeeze

Back