Need some carbed keg testing ideas....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431brew

Reaction score
I put 2.5 gallons of Canadian Ale in a 5 gal keg about 6 months ago as my first kegging experience. I purged the oxygen and then blasted it with 30 psf CO2 to seal it. I rolled it a few times, shot a little more gas in and then left it in the closet. A few weeks later, I hooked gas back up, and blasted 30 psf until I couldn't hear anymore going in, and put it back in the closet. Not sure why I did it like this, but I think I thought I was getting it carbed up and didn't plan on storing it for so long. I haven't touched it since until yesterday.

I still do not have a spare frig, so put the keg in my garage yesterday in hopes to cool it enough to get a sample. I want to share it with some friends the last weekend of this month, so want to make sure it tastes okay.

I bled that co2 out of the tank, and dialed the pressure down to 5 psf, and when I dispensed it all I got was a glass of foam. I bled co2 off again this morning after letting it sit in 70 degree closet again overnight. I have shaken the keg a few times and released co2 again. I am using a 5' of 3/8" dia hose on both sides. The garage temp was around 55.

In your opinion, and based on the info above, do you think the foam was due to overcarbing or temp or both? I'm thinking probably both, but my first shot with keg. Is it possible for me to get a sample at the right carbonation at 55-60 degrees? Do I need to empty kitchen frig and chill keg in it in order to do a taste test?

If the beer has good flavor, not old or spoiled, then I will get a frig and chill at 5 psf the week before sharing with a few friends. If it not any good, then I will trash it and buy frig this spring/summer when I brew again. By then I will have figured out where I can put it.

Thanks.

i think i'm using 3/16ths on my tap side not 3/8s.
I do 30-40 psi into my kegs ONCE (4.5gal in a 5gal corny), so i think it may be too overcarbed.

i wouldnt shake it, but can you let the pressure out overnight, let it outgas and equalize a little, and try to see if it serves better in the morning? can you get a smaller, longer taphose?

What ID hose are you using? I really dont think its 3/8". More like 1/4" or 3/16". By adding another 30 psi to your beer you most likely over carbed it and a 5' hose will only make an over carbed beer pour even worse. Do as stated above to get some of that C02 out of suspension and either get a longer 3/16" hose or dial your pressure down as far as you can to reduce the chance of pouring foam.

I'd get it to serving temperature (not at 70 degrees) and let it sit at least overnight to settle down and to chill. Then try it. If you get a glass of foam, see if the beer is carbed up underneath that foam or if it's still flat.

It shouldn't be overcarbed with 30 psi at room temperature. I'd stop shaking immediately, though- or all you'll ever have is foam! Wait a day, and then see what you've got.

How long are your lines? If they are less than 6', that may be the problem. Also, make sure you are opening the tap completely and fully. That might help.

I dont think it is over carbed. it takes me a couple days running 30 psi to carb a keg not just one shot. I think it is your line size. change it to 3/16 and about 8 ft long. I run 12-14 psi with that size hose and have not carbonation or foaming issues. also check out this thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

Had a typo on the line diameter....it is 3/16" ID, not 3/8". Thanks for questioning that. The length is a few inches over 5' and is what I got from Kegconnections. I guess I need to go ahead and get a beer frig so I can chill it to serving temp and get an accurate test.

buy a fridge? not necessarily.

Do you have threaded qd's? I have made up different length tubes, for all sorts of different uses. And they get changed out in just seconds. 'course I also use compressor fittings, and other wacky, non-standard kit on my gas tank side of things.

My keg would be considered by most to be too highly pressurized, cause I dont keep it hooked up to the gas. (foosh it when it gets too slow).

My little draft tower (in my profile) has MAYBE 3 feet of 3/16, and I can pour a pale pint in 6 seconds on a new charge.

Can you do some testing?

Do you only have one keg? can you make a quick batch, or even a tank of seltzer? I think its a porter with a lot of proteins in it, and if you give it a coule days to OUTGAS, test, and maybe recharge a little, you will be happy (in a very CAMRA sort of way!)

good luck, and spend it only if you have to (or want to :D)

Degassed since Saturday and just hooked co2 up at abut 3psi to serve a sample. Still at room (garage) temp of 65 degrees. I must have been badly overcarbed last time as no foam this time.

Beer is a little flat, so going to leave gas on and check again in a few days. Not going to shake this time. It was a little darker than I was expecting too for this ale. As I mentioned before, I'm trying to get it ready to chill and drink the last weekend of January.

Thanks for all of the help.

hey! so how was it?? it sounds like you hit the bottom of the pressure graph just like you wanted.
did you get it served to rave reviews? (or were they'z ig-nant?)

Latest posts

Back