Need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michigan_Wolfman

Reaction score
Ok, here's my dilemma...I'm considering venturing into all grain brewing at some point in the near future, and I've thought about purchasing a Blichmann BrewEasy for that purpose. However, I've seen a lot of conflicting viewpoints regarding the BrewEasy. Some people say they're great, others have absolutely nothing good to say about them. Would I be better off going for a propane burner with a boil kettle and cooler mash tun for all grain brewing, or would the BrewEasy be a better investment? :confused:

I don't have any experience with it but I'm guessing the detractors think it's a waste of money. If you want something that is simple and turnkey and don't mind spending the money, then it is probably a good product for you. The propane/kettle/cooler system is great too. It will make equally great beer for much less money. It depends on what you are after.

I don't have any experience with it but I'm guessing the detractors think it's a waste of money. If you want something that is simple and turnkey and don't mind spending the money, then it is probably a good product for you. The propane/kettle/cooler system is great too. It will make equally great beer for much less money. It depends on what you are after.

Thanks for the input. :mug:

I have the basic cooler, propane, 10 gallon pot all grain set up. I have about 55 all grain batches under my belt. About 15 extract.

From my perspective:

Why do you brew? For me, I brew because I like to make stuff, get a bit creative and I really get a kick out of making really great beer with relatively simple, somewhat homemade equipment. If I got a BrewEasy, or something similar, I'd miss the part about making the beer on simple, homemade equipment. But, that's me.

So, if seeing what you can do with relatively simple, somewhat homemade equipment isn't high on your list, maybe the BrewEasy is for you.

A second thought - you may learn a lot more about brewing process by doing everything old-school style. This could make make you more knowledgeable brewer.

Just my two cents.

I have the basic cooler, propane, 10 gallon pot all grain set up. I have about 55 all grain batches under my belt. About 15 extract.

From my perspective:

Why do you brew? For me, I brew because I like to make stuff, get a bit creative and I really get a kick out of making really great beer with relatively simple, somewhat homemade equipment. If I got a BrewEasy, or something similar, I'd miss the part about making the beer on simple, homemade equipment. But, that's me.

So, if seeing what you can do with relatively simple, somewhat homemade equipment isn't high on your list, maybe the BrewEasy is for you.

A second thought - you may learn a lot more about brewing process by doing everything old-school style. This could make make you more knowledgeable brewer.

Just my two cents.

The more I think about it, it would make more sense to keep it old school simple. :mug:

Or you can start old school simple then slowly add components like pumps, HERMS, RIMS, control panels, etc. I also get a kick out of the DIY aspect of the hobby. My set up is still pretty simple. Adding pumps made it a little more convenient and fun to brew.

A BrewEasy would be nice to have, but I just use a kettle, propane burner and a mesh bag. Hard to get much simpler. Check out the Brew In A Bag (BIAB) subforum of the All Grain forum.

If you can wait, easiest solution is to buy two 30qt turkey frier sets with burners and a Igloo cooler at ThanksGiving time, they are pretty cheap.

FRIER #1 - HLT
COOLER w/ False Bottom - MASH
FRIER #2 - BOIL KETTLE

You should be able to get the whole setup for less then $200. Do some All Grain 5Gallon batches and nail down your sanitation process and proceedure. 12 months later, re-review the option for bigger/better and you'll be ready for Christmas.

If you can wait, easiest solution is to buy two 30qt turkey frier sets with burners and a Igloo cooler at ThanksGiving time, they are pretty cheap.

FRIER #1 - HLT
COOLER w/ False Bottom - MASH
FRIER #2 - BOIL KETTLE

You should be able to get the whole setup for less then $200. Do some All Grain 5Gallon batches and nail down your sanitation process and proceedure. 12 months later, re-review the option for bigger/better and you'll be ready for Christmas.

Skip the 2nd fryer, buy a used 16gal keg off craigslist, cut the top off and add a drain valve. More capacity, no worries of boilers.
Or.....buy both fryers AND the keg, brew multiple batches at once

Back