Need Recipe Help - IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhern053

Reaction score
Brewed an awesome IPA and want to replicate it, but with a few changes. It's a little too sweet and I'm not sure exactly what to change about it.

Here's the vital information:
5 gallons (AG)
1.065 - 1.016
72 IBU
WLP023 Burton Ale

11 lb 2-Row
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Carared
1 lb Carapils
Bittered with Magnum
Flavor and Aroma hops are fine, so don't want to change those

I know I'm going to cut the Carapils to 0.5 lb (3.6%) and bump the 2-Row by 0.5 to keep it at 1.065 OG.

I like the characteristics of the Burton yeast, so I'd like to keep it.

So, should I use more bittering hops (I'm thinking I'd like a virtual bitterness of 80 IBU), or should cutting the Carapils in half be enough to lessen the sweetness?

I really need help with this. I'm sort of confused as to why it's so sweet at 72 IBU.

Just cut the carapils altogether. I'd also look at bumping down the carared and crystal 60 amounts. Having 3 pounds of crystal malts is definitely why it came out too sweet. I really don't like more than a pound at maximum of crystal malts in my pale ales, and usually even less than that in my IPAs. If you want to add more depth to your grain bill while cutting out all that crystal, look at using some Vienna or Munich. I usually use 1-2 lbs.

What do you think of this:

12 lb 2-row
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb munich 10L

I'm not too worried about malt. It's a hop-forward beer anyways - even somewhat yeast forward - but I do want the crystal and something to give it a deeper orange-ish color.

I'm going to bump the munich up:

11 lb 2-row
2 lb munich 10L
1 lb crystal 60

If you liked it but it was a little too sweet why not just lower the mash temperature? If it attenuates a more it will be dryer. You could also replace come of the base malt with sugar almost to the same effect.

IMHO and YMMV and WTF,
Steve da sleeve

What do you think of this:

12 lb 2-row
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb munich 10L

I'm not too worried about malt. It's a hop-forward beer anyways - even somewhat yeast forward - but I do want the crystal and something to give it a deeper orange-ish color.

Better. Three pounds of crystal malt is why the first recipe is too sweet. I think this grain bill is much better.

I'm going to bump the munich up:

11 lb 2-row
2 lb munich 10L
1 lb crystal 60

95% of the time I use Vienna instead of Munich (actually I've only used Munich one time), but Munich is definitely stronger than Vienna. I use 2 lbs of Veinna in my go-to IPA grainbill, and it definitely adds a nice amount of biscuit. IMHO, if I were brewing your recipe I'd start out with 1 lb of Munich to see how things went. It will definitely be a nice orange color. I can take a picture of my IPA this weekend that uses 2 lbs of Vienna and 8 oz of Crystal 60*L if you want, it's more light tan than orange, but I'm sure you'd get where you want with a full pound of C60.

Sure post a pic I'd love to see it. I'm probably going to go with exactly what you are outlining:

11.5 lb 2-row
2 lb vienna
.5 lb crystal 60

I'm excited to brew this again. It'll be a while, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

420871_2828804284756_1398540221_32465220_1570567613_n.jpg

I didn't forget! (sorry about the quality, my crapberry is all I have)

Awesome! Looks tastey. I decided to "borrow" your IPA malt bill. This is what I'm going with:

11.5 lb 2-Row
2 lb Vienna
.5 lb Crystal 60L

I'm also decreasing the target IBUs to 60 considering that this recipe wont be sweet enough to counterbalance the 72 IBUs I had before.

Thanks again. Here's a pic of mine.

401225_2877780499205_1100760305_32562242_1015320266_n.jpg

Back