Need new idea for a brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songe

Reaction score
So i was wondering on an input here.

I screwed up last time not writing down what i brewed. just chose some stuff that i thought would go well to gether. and what do i get? one of my best brews until now. (My ipa bottle conditioning)

So i have some hops left over in the freezer, Halltrauer, Saaz, EKG, some other high in alpha acids. And i have a pack of abbaye yeast left over.

So i was thinking of maybe making a triple, Using pale malt as base, And maybe wheat, and crystal malts.

But here is my deal, i have problems keeping low temperatures, so something in the 15-20c ish is a temp i can keep. but not stable.

Anye idea from any of you guys here?

go get some Saison yeast, cool your wort to about 60-65F degrees and let that **** free rise and do its thing! no temp control needed.

Any belgian yeast should be fine if you just let it free rise at normal room temperatures.

If you intend to use a single packet of dry yeast without a starter, I would suggest somethign lower OG than a tripel. You'd definitely need at least 2 packs for proper attenuation for something as strong as a tripel. Saison or Belgian Pale Ale seems about right

I'm sure you can get a swamp cooler going, they're low tech and very effective at both stabilizing temps and keeping them lower.

Step 1: Get a tub of water, and put your fermentation vessel in it. This reduces the heat produced by the fermentation process, and keeps it 0-2 degrees below ambient room temp. Cost: 5-15, or 0 if you have a tub already...

Step 2: Get a t shirt, secure it around the fermentation vessel with the bottom dipped in the water. The water in the shirt will increase conduction of thermal energy, and will cool the beer even more through evaporative cooling. Typically 2-5 degrees below ambient in my experience. (Cost: I know you have a tshirt...)

Step 3 A: Rotate frozen water bottles in the tub of water every few hours, depending on how cool you want it to get. Can easily get 10 degrees below ambient. (Cost: 0, just time needed to rotate every x hours)

Step 3 B: Point a fan on low at the tub of water, this will increase the rate at which the water in the shirt evaporates as well as increase heat flow. Will cool it down another 2-15 degrees depending on air flow of the fan, humidity, current temp of beer, current temp of room. (Cost: I know you already have a fan...)

Step 4 : Get an stc 1000, and hook the fan up to the temp controller. This will allow it to stay at a certain temp 24/7, and you won't need to rotate water bottles anymore. (cost about $25)

Back