Need More Hop Character

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbischoff

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale recipe that I scaled up w/o increasing hops enough. The beer is in a keg now carbonated with an ounce of cascades ( I use dip tube screens ). I am wondering if I could potentially boil some cascades in a small amount of water for 15 minutes or so and add the liquid to my beer. Would that give me the added hop flavor?

I've added dry hops to my carbonated keg a few times with good success. I just use a sanitized hop bag, some sanitized glass marbles and plain dental floss and hung the bag about 6" from the bottom of the keg. After a few days, I noticed much more hop aroma and flavor.

If you want the best hop character add ALL the hops for the last 15 minutes of the boil, Its called hop bursting and you will get intense hop character and flavor with no lingering bitterness. Its amazing... I highly recommend using Citra, Galaxy combo for this method if you have access to those varieties. All the breweries in California do this to my understanding. I tested it out once and had such amazing results i've been doing it ever since. Cheers man! Happy fermenting!

If you want the best hop character add ALL the hops for the last 15 minutes of the boil, Its called hop bursting and you will get intense hop character and flavor with no lingering bitterness. Its amazing... I highly recommend using Citra, Galaxy combo for this method if you have access to those varieties. All the breweries in California do this to my understanding. I tested it out once and had such amazing results i've been doing it ever since. Cheers man! Happy fermenting!

i've had good results with all late additions too, no 60 min hops either. i go even later than 15 min and do all flameout. the first addition at 0, the next are all spaced out after that depending on the AA and the last addition at 25-30 min after flameout. not only do the beers have huge hop flavor and aroma, it seems to last much longer. i used to notice a decline in aroma after 3-4 weeks in the keg but the keg of nelson pale ale i'm drinking now is older than that and still smells/tastes great.

I just brewed my Hands of Fate Cascade APA which used a small FWH (first wort hop) addition, a moderate addition at 5 minutes, and a huge addition as a 30 minute hop steep once (once the wort cools to 180, cut the chiller for 30 min). I got tons of flavor and aroma, especially after dry hopping with 4 oz. Late hops, and lots of them, are the key...at least for the hoppiness I'm going for.

As beer-lord suggested, I would add more dry hops. I'd be afraid of boiling more hops and adding the water. BUT, I don't have any experience with making a hop "tea", as it's sometimes referred to, but you may want to do a search for that term and see what turns up. I'm pretty sure there's a fairly new/active thread somewhere on here with "hop tea" as the subject line.

i've had good results with all late additions too, no 60 min hops either. i go even later than 15 min and do all flameout. the first addition at 0, the next are all spaced out after that depending on the AA and the last addition at 25-30 min after flameout. not only do the beers have huge hop flavor and aroma, it seems to last much longer. i used to notice a decline in aroma after 3-4 weeks in the keg but the keg of nelson pale ale i'm drinking now is older than that and still smells/tastes great.

is that Blue Mountain Full Nelson Pale Ale?

would love a clone recipe for that, do you have one?

I think that beer actually uses about 5 different hops. Or so I've been told by folks at the brewery.

hopefully will be pouring for them at NoVA Brewfest on Sunday and hopefully a brewer will be there

I'll ask.

I'm definitely going to hit up Devil's Backbone's brewer and ask him about my clone recipe

that recipe also needs more hop character

Thanks guys... Will add some more hops to the keg and do additional research on hop teas.

I was once multitasking and brewing two batches of different beer at the same time and ended up not adding the flameout hops in one batch.

The next day I boiled some water and added the missing hops, let it cool and then I added to my already pitched fermenter.

The beer turned out great. Not sure if it would have turned out different if I added the hops to the original boil. I assume it would have made a slight difference. Bottom line it worked. Do it or dry hop....

Latest posts

Back