Need maple syrup wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disclosure: I've never made maple wine, but I've been thinking about it for ages since my wife's a Vermonter and she would get a kick out of it.

I think you are going to want to treat the maple syrup like you would honey in a batch of mead. To get the most maple flavor, you should look for Grade A Dark Amber or even Grade B. Basically, you will add your maple syrup, dilute with water until you hit 1.090-1.100. Make sure you add yeast nutrient, and aerate the syrup.

I would pitch something like Montrachet which should peter out at ~13% or a D47 (~14%) since it's supposed to work for mead. You could also look at a mead specific yeast and bump up the OG a little further. Once it ferments out (and it may take some time), you'll need to see how sweet it finished. You might be fine or you may want to back-sweeten a touch.

It may behoove you to check out the mead forum since they would be able to give better advise on working with high sugar ingredients.

5gal bucket
1gal of syurp
3.90gal h20
Mix up.
Add 1/8tsp sodium bisulfate stir.
Cover for 24hr.
Next day pitch 1118 yeast
Cover back up wait 7days
After 7days rack it into a carboy.
Air lock with burbon.
After one month rack again.
Now. Do you want sweet or dry wine. If dry stop here and bottle after another racking in a few weeks.
Sweet continue
Rack over after the month and add another 1/8tsp of sodium bisulfate and some potassium bisulfate according to bottle directions.
Usually a 1/8tsp works for me. Wait another week in carboy with air lock on. Then
Mix a 2% suger soultion of the total 5gal so..
About 12oz of syrup or sugar with 2cups of burbon. Mix well and add to carboy. Shake and burp it. Add air lock back for a few days.
Bottle away my friend. Give them bottles a year if you can. Then bang. Great wine.

I need a maple syrup wine recipe, a very simple basic recipe.
My wife makes one. She uses 3 lbs (~1 quart) quality maple syrup to 1 gal water. Then uses a basic yeast like Nottingham. Be careful you don't over ferment or it will come out very cidery with virtually no maple flavor. Maple syrup like honey likes to ferment completely dry so i'd either sample a lot or use a real time hygrometer, like tilt, to measure and track the gravity so you can kill it at the right time without making it into a weird cider. We've made five 5 gal batches in the last few years and none have been consistent using uncontrolled fermentation.

Maple wine is an excellent idea in theory but it generally doesn’t turn out the way people want it to. I have read and experienced myself that the maple flavor tends to ferment out completely in a maple mead or wine. It leaves a nutty, earthy flavor that some people like to be sure, but nothing like maple syrup pancakes. You have to backsweeten to get those flavors.

Back