Need IPA help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I want to do an IPA and would like to use up some hops that I bought in bulk awhile back. I do not have the skill set to develop my own recipe and I like taking other peoples ideas and tweaking them as needed. So I need thoughts on 2 things:

1) Grain bill for an IPA from the 6.5% to 8% range.

2) I have the following hops that need to be used:
CHINOOK
CITRA
COLUMBUS
CENTENNIAL
What would my hop schedule look like with these? Do they work well together?

Thank you everyone. I very much appreciate it. Cheers!

80% Pale 2-row, 15% Munich and 5% White Wheat for an estimated OG of 1.065. Bitter with Columbus to about 30 IBUs, add equal amounts of any combination of the hops you list at both 10 and 1 to bring to a total of 70 IBUS. Dry hop with 3 to 4 ounces of any combination of the hops listed.

80% Pale 2-row, 15% Munich and 5% White Wheat for an estimated OG of 1.065. Bitter with Columbus to about 30 IBUs, add equal amounts of any combination of the hops you list at both 10 and 1 to bring to a total of 70 IBUS. Dry hop with 3 to 4 ounces of any combination of the hops listed.
Awesome! Thank you!

IMO, it does not belong. I think there should be warning labels for it. If you want malt flavors, use English malts.

That’s a great hop schedule for a west coast ipa. Miss those these days. Nothing wrong with a bit of Munich but 15% would be too much for me. Instead I’d use a blend of marris otter and us 2 row as the base malt and about 5% us c15. If you like a little more color you can add an ounce of black patent or roasted barley.

Oddly enough, I just brewed two IPA's that fit your criteria exactly!

West Coast IPA #1 - my favorite west coast IPA I've ever made. Big tropical punch from the citra, with nice citrus and dank notes to balance it out.

7.5 lb 2 row (Great Western - 2L)
7.5 lb Golden Promise (Simpsons - 2.5L)
0.5 lb Wheat
0.25 lb Carafoam
0.5 lb Sugar

2 oz Columbus 60 min
1 oz Centennial 10 min
1 oz Columbus Whirlpool
1 oz Centennial Whirlpool
1 oz Citra Whirlpool
3 oz Centennial Dry Hop
5 oz Citra Dry Hop

Imperial House Yeast

O.G. = 1.070
F.G. = 1.011

West Coast IPA #2 - This one is still conditioning in the keg so I don't have any notes yet, but my thought process was to take the previous recipe and only change the hops to try to integrate a little bit of pine, and slightly more citrus over tropical fruit.

2.1 oz Columbus 60 min
1 oz Centennial 10 min
1 oz Columbus Whirlpool
1 oz Centennial Whirlpool
1 oz Chinook Whirlpool
2 oz Centennial Dry Hop
2 oz Chinook Dry Hop
4 oz Citra Dry Hop

I brew smash beers to evaluate hops, it is sometime hard to tell which hops does what when blended. All of your hops could stand on their own as a single hop beer, except maybe Columbus but that may be a personal thing.

mostly 2row with 5% sugar and/or 5% crystal will work as a base. I like using abbey or carastan as the crystal as they give a nice golden color.

use 8 to 10oz of hops total with 5 or 6oz used for dry hops, easy with Columbus late boil and dry hopping some are oniony.
citra, chinook, centennial 2:2:1 or 1:1:1
centennial, chinook, Columbus 1:1:1 or 2:2:1

Look at the hop flavor aroma wheels and try use hops from 2 or 3 areas.

You should get some cascade as they would pair well with all of your hops.
citra and cascade
cascade, chinook, columbus
cascade, chinook, centennial

Latest posts

Back