Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesstjm

Reaction score
I am having some problems and need help. I brewed the following recipe

http://quantumfish.com/2010/04/22/great-lakes-edmund-fitzgerald-porter-clone/

I have to admit I had a little to much of my homebrew while making it. I could have sworn that the OG was 1.06 but after two weeks in the primary it is reading 1.14.

When I put the yeast in the primary it took 48hrs to get moving then I am not sure how long it fermented because I went on vacation.

So my question is what do I do now to lower the OG? I have more yeast. Do I move to secondary with more yeast and yeast nutrient? The beer tastes ok just need to get this moving

Well you were probably drunk. Gravity readings don't go up unless you added more fermentables. Therefore, double check to make sure the "1.14" (Which is REALLY HIGH) isn't really "1.014". Which would put you right on the money.

Are you sure it's 1.14 not 1.014 now? That recipe says target OG is 1.060, so it would have been VERY tough to hit an OG over the current 1.14. You essentially would have had to add at least double the ingredients, or only made a 2 gallon batch (without adjusting the ingredients).

The target FG on that recipe is 1.015, so you're probably actually at 1.014, which means you pretty much nailed it. RDWHAHB!

You are right. At second look it is 1.014. I am hydrometer reader impaired. I never get it right. Thanks for your help

Just being picky but...

OG = Original Gravity
FG = Final Gravity
SG = Specific Gravity

You can't lower your OG. It is a reference point for the beginning of the fermentation.

But it sounds like you went from 1.060 to 1.014. That is respectable change.

Was it 1.014 the next day as well? If so, time to package.

Besides, you said the beer tastes OK. That is one of the most important checks you can do.

Back