Need help with style classification/naming of recipe I came up with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallawallabrewer

Reaction score
Help me classify and come up with a name for this beer that I brewed!

5 gal batch
5 gal boil
45 min boil

Steeped 1# Caramel 80L (Maillard Malts) until water hit 170 F

6# Vienna LME (Maillard Malts) at 45 min
5 oz. Corn sugar at 45 min

1 oz. US Perle (8.9%) at 45 min
1 oz. US Saaz (3.4%) at 10 min
1 oz. US Saaz (3.4%) at 5 min

1/2 whir floc at 10 min
fermented with 2 packets of US-05 at around 70F

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010

about 3 weeks in primary
1 week in keg at 34 F
force carbonated

This beer was super delicious! Nice toasty bread malt backbone with a pleasant mild hop bitterness. Super drinkable! Great in a large stein.

Help me classify and come up with a name for this beer that I brewed!

5 gal batch
5 gal boil
45 min boil

Steeped 1# Caramel 80L (Maillard Malts) until water hit 170 F

6# Vienna LME (Maillard Malts) at 45 min
5 oz. Corn sugar at 45 min

1 oz. US Perle (8.9%) at 45 min
1 oz. US Saaz (3.4%) at 10 min
1 oz. US Saaz (3.4%) at 5 min

1/2 whir floc at 10 min
fermented with 2 packets of US-05 at around 70F

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010

about 3 weeks in primary
1 week in keg at 34 F
force carbonated

This beer was super delicious! Nice toasty bread malt backbone with a pleasant mild hop bitterness. Super drinkable! Great in a large stein.

Well, with Vienna malt and US hops (but with a German and Czech parentage), and ale yeast, you've got an American Vienna ale, I'd say.

I'd call it an Amber Ale.
Shows what you can do with simple ingredients, thanks for posting.
I've never tried to use 90% Vienna, I may tweak it and use your idea, probably with grain though.

I've frequently used Vienna in place of base malt and always loved the result. You could potentially get away with "Marzen Style Ale" or even Altbier. The easiest way is to pull up BJCP guidelines and cross reference the specs (abv, ibu, srm, etc) as well as the described flavor profile in relation to what your beer tastes like.

This is also a great way to become more familiar with industry standard guidelines which makes future style labeling of your recipes that much more easy. It will even help you design recipes by knowing what flavor profile you are trying to achieve per the style ahead of time.

I use BJCP standards based on malt, color, hops, and yeast to define my beers. Some styles overlap so figuring out what you have can be interesting.

yeah, this. It can almost become a fun puzzle sometimes. Where it can get confusing (almost frustrating) is for guys like me who are professional brewers, if we want to register a recipe and/or enter a brand into a national competition like GABF we need to have it match as closely to the BJCP specs and profile as possible in order for it to even have a chance.

Latest posts

Back