Need help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunfire96

Snail House Brewing
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm trying to use my hops and specialty grains before purchasing more, and would love some help creating a recipe with what I've got. I do 2.5 gallon batches, typically. I used to brew 1 gallon batches so I have small amounts of lots of ingredients leftover. I'm overwhelmed with choices :)

Fermentables: GW high color pale (3L)
Weyermann Vienna
Munich II (10L)
Breiss light DME

Specialty grains: I have a little bit of lots of different grains. Varying amounts of: C10, C40, C60, C120, British crystal 60L, carahell, Victory, Carafa I, Midnight Wheat, Flaked wheat, carapils

Hops: Cascade, Chinook, Cluster, EKG, Galena, Magnum, Northern Brewer, Perle, Saaz, Sterling, Triumph

Yeast: Mangrove Liberty Bell, Mangrove CA lager, Lalbrew Voss kveik

I don't care for NEIPAs, Belgians, or Weizens, and I love pales/IPAs, Ambers, browns, pretty much all American styles. I also enjoy amber/dark lagers, or a hoppy light lager (IPL style), and British pales/bitters.

Thanks so much!!

You could brew almost any of the styles you mentioned above.

Pale Ale suggestion:
GW 3L - 90%
C40 - 5%
Munich - 5%

You can vary the amounts depending on your preferences.

Hops:
Galena - 60min 25-30 IBU
Cascasde & Chinook - .5 oz each @10min
Cascasde & Chinook - .5 oz each @0min

Mangrove Liberty Bell yeast

You could brew almost any of the styles you mentioned above.

Pale Ale suggestion:
GW 3L - 90%
C40 - 5%
Munich - 5%

You can vary the amounts depending on your preferences.

Hops:
Galena - 60min 25-30 IBU
Cascasde & Chinook - .5 oz each @10min
Cascasde & Chinook - .5 oz each @0min

Mangrove Liberty Bell yeast
Looks great, thank you so much! Are the hop amounts for a 5 gal or 2.5 gal batch?

Looks great, thank you so much! Are the hop amounts for a 5 gal or 2.5 gal batch?
Yes sorry for the I forgot about the small batch size. For the bittering charge, you are looking for 25-30 IBU, however much that is with your hop AA. For the 10min and flameout additions, those are based on a 5 gal batch so you would half.

Looks like you have all the ingredients for a California Common (Anchor Steam clone).

72% GW pale
15% Munich
8% C40
4% Victory
1% Midnight wheat or Carafa I - I think most recipes call for chocolate but at 1% or less of the bill either of these should be fine

Northern Brewer Hops at 60, 15 and Flameout for a total of 40 IBU this might be close:
0.5 oz at 60
0.5 oz at 15
0.5 oz at flameout

Mangrove CA lager yeast

Yes sorry for the I forgot about the small batch size. For the bittering charge, you are looking for 25-30 IBU, however much that is with your hop AA. For the 10min and flameout additions, those are based on a 5 gal batch so you would half.
Awesome, thank you so much

Looks like you have all the ingredients for a California Common (Anchor Steam clone).

72% GW pale
15% Munich
8% C40
4% Victory
1% Midnight wheat or Carafa I - I think most recipes call for chocolate but at 1% or less of the bill either of these should be fine

Northern Brewer Hops at 60, 15 and Flameout for a total of 40 IBU this might be close:
0.5 oz at 60
0.5 oz at 15
0.5 oz at flameout

Mangrove CA lager yeast
That looks great. I think I have enough to get through for multiple batches, thank you for the recipe!

Instead of an Anchor clone, I was thinking something more Marzen/Festbier like. I think the IBUs are high for the style, but I'm okay with that. I would love some feedback on the recipe. Thanks :)
Screenshot_20210309-211034_Chrome.jpg

Back