Need help with nitrogen/stout setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I just purchased a stout faucet and will soon purchase a cylinder filled with beer gas blend. I'm not sure what to do to get this thing running properly.

What volume of Co2 should I hit for the initial carbonation?

What setting should the beer gas (75% nitrogen/25% Co2) regulator be set to?
Is this influenced by temperature like Co2 is?
Once serving pressure is set, is it set and forget?

Can my existing beer lines be used or is a different length recommended for use with beergas?

What volume of Co2 should I hit for the initial carbonation?

About 1.0. I normally put a warm keg in my keg fridge and put it on 25 PSI CO2 immediately. After 24 hours, I reduce the pressure to 15 PSI for another 24 hours. Then I put it on the mix. From there, it takes 5-7 days to finish carbing.

What setting should the beer gas (75% nitrogen/25% Co2) regulator be set to?

Try 30 PSI and go from there. It will take up to a week to fully carb up if you initially charge it with CO2 as described above. If you find after a couple of weeks that there is too much foam, decarb a bit and set to 28 PSI and try again. If not enough foam, bump it up to 32 PSI. It may take some trial and error to figure out what is the best set and forget/serving pressure for your system, but once you figure it out, you shouldn't have to change it. Wait at least a week between making adjustments. Since the mix is only 25-30% CO2, it takes several days to see the results of any pressure change.

Is this influenced by temperature like Co2 is?

Yes, due to the CO2 in the mix.

Once serving pressure is set, is it set and forget?

Yes

Can my existing beer lines be used or is a different length recommended for use with beergas?

Yes, existing lines are fine.

Thanks man! Just the response I was looking for. CUT AND DRY! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!!

If I do not have beergas cylinder yet but want to get ahead of the game. What do you suggest doing?

Just lightly carb it with CO2 until you get your beer gas. You want it to be slightly beyond flat, as it is very easy to go too far and will have nothing but foam once you put it on the mix @ 30 PSI.

Just lightly carb it with CO2 until you get your beer gas. You want it to be slightly beyond flat, as it is very easy to go too far and will have nothing but foam once you put it on the mix @ 30 PSI.

Ok i set it at 9 psi at 70 degree room temperature. This should get me around 1.2-1.3 volumes. Im waiting to cold crash as I want to warm condition this stout.

Back