Need help with IPA hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

completenewbie

Reaction score
Planning to do 2 IPAs this weekend so went to the LHBS this morning to pick up the gear...

I was planning to do one Nelson (yumyum), and one heavily citra (showing a friend who wants to get into homebrewing, so thought it would be interesting to see how different hops impacted the final taste of an IPA).

Well, they had no citra or Nelson. Serves me right not calling ahead.

I came back with:

1.5oz magnum
1.5oz northern brewer
1.5oz gardena
2 oz amarillo

Anyone have experience with any of these in an IPA / any thoughts on which I should combine? I did a nice Amarillo heavy IPA last year, so was thinking maybe one of them being bittered with magnum then amarillo for aroma and taste.. but that's all I have ;)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Well amarillo is delicious but I'm not too familiar with the others. I know magnum and northern brewer are suitable for a bittering addition but I can't give too much input as to the flavor. I have never heard of gardena?

Never heard of gardena - what's it like?

Also, do you mean you are brewing 2 separate IPA's or a double IPA?

6.5 oz. hops will work for one aromatic American IPA, but not two of them. For two-5 gallon IPAs, you'll need more hops.

I would use 1/2 to 3/4 oz Magnum at 60 and 30, 1.5 oz. of assorted hops each at 10 and Flameout, then 2.5 oz. minimum Amarillo for the dryhop.

Never heard of gardena either.

6.5 oz. hops will work for one aromatic American IPA, but not two of them. For two-5 gallon IPAs, you'll need more hops.

I would use 1/2 to 3/4 oz Magnum at 60 and 30, 1.5 oz. of assorted hops each at 10 and Flameout, then 2.5 oz. minimum Amarillo for the dryhop.

Never heard of gardena either.

Galena. Think my spell checker decided to throw in the name of a city. Thanks spell checker.

Latest posts

Back