Need help with burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churdbird

Reaction score
Finishing the stand and trying to decide on which burner to go with. Im using the White Rodgers safty pilot vale 764-742/pilot burner set up and the max psi is 1/2psi on that valve. The kettles will be converted kegs. I've somewhat narrowed it down to 3 burner designs. The jet burner, Bayou classic, or the Hurricane burner. So, Im lookin for some input.

I will assume that this is for a brew stand and you are using propane. If not please ignore this post. If you are, please do not forget that you will a low pressure propane regulator. Hurricane makes a nice 60,000 BTU low pressure 10" burner for about $50. Bayou Classic also makes a 10" Banjo low pressure burner that looks almost identical to the Hurricane burner for $43. Tejas make a cast iron 100,000 BTU 6" low pressure propane jet burner for $95. Personally I think they all work well. It's not my money but if I were in the position to purchase I would go with the Jet Burner simply because of the higher BTU output. It is possible you can find it for less money than $95 though.

I use keggles. I have two of these burners along with a 0-30 psi adjustable regulator. I think they are 180k btus and at $12 apiece, I'm happy with them. Are you sure those valves are 1/2 psi? I would think those would be way undersized.

Mike

I use keggles. I have two of these burners along with a 0-30 psi adjustable regulator. I think they are 180k btus and at $12 apiece, I'm happy with them. Are you sure those valves are 1/2 psi? I would think those would be way undersized. BTW you can get low pressure burners to 100,000 BTU.

Mike

I know exactly what valve he is talking about. I use a similar valve manufactured by Honeywell and yes it is rated at 0.5 PSIG. As a matter of fact the Honeywell can be used for Natural Gas or Propane by changing a part on the valve. The 0 to 30 PSI regulator would not be a good choice and the burner has to be of the low pressure variety.

That's what I thought. Thank you. Now with this .5psi limit, is the jet burner still an option? how about the other two?

That's what I thought. Thank you. Now with this .5psi limit, is the jet burner still an option? how about the other two?

Yes. The three burners I mentioned in my first post will work just fine. They are all low pressure propane burners. If you are interested in the Low Pressure 100,000 BTU Jet burner by Tejas here is the URL: Cast Iron High Heat Jet Burner from Tejas Smokers. Tejas Jet Burners have Brass Jet Nozzles. It is the first one listed.

I will assume that this is for a brew stand and you are using propane. If not please ignore this post. If you are, please do not forget that you will a low pressure propane regulator. Hurricane makes a nice 60,000 BTU low pressure 10" burner for about $50. Bayou Classic also makes a 10" Banjo low pressure burner that looks almost identical to the Hurricane burner for $43. Tejas make a cast iron 100,000 BTU 6" low pressure propane jet burner for $95. Personally I think they all work well. It's not my money but if I were in the position to purchase I would go with the Jet Burner simply because of the higher BTU output. It is possible you can find it for less money than $95 though.

I use two Hurricane burners on NG. I like the size and spread of the flames, also they can easily be converted back & forth between Propane & NG. Just keep an extra valve handy. The large area of the burner really covers the bottom of a keggle instead of concentrating the flame in a smaller area. At full blast you will be doing a wild boil of 14 gallons of wort, I usually have to dial it way back when it starts to boil.

$40 + shipping for valve & burner
Search Results

I know others on here have purchased from topfoodservice.com. What was your take on the burners that they sell? High or low psi?

Im using the White Rodgers safty pilot vale 764-742/pilot burner set up and the max psi is 1/2psi on that valve.

Don't use the adjustable pressure regulator with your setup.

The low pressure regulator for your valve is available from BeerBeer and many other LHB stores.

My setup, I use both White Rodger and Honeywell valves.

100_5060.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Here is what I use. I still only do extract, but do full boils. I heated 4 gallons of water from 58 degrees to 160 in about 5 minutes. I know that they sell this burner without the attachedments and it will run on standard PSI or High (30) PSI regulator.

I use keggles. I have two of these burners along with a 0-30 psi adjustable regulator. I think they are 180k btus and at $12 apiece, I'm happy with them. Are you sure those valves are 1/2 psi? I would think those would be way undersized.

Mike

I've got the same burner with a 20psi Bayou Classic regulator. The last time I used it, I was able to bring the 5 gallons in my keggle to a near boil over in about 8 minutes with the valve wide open. The 10psi regulator I had before that could take upwards of 40-50 minutes

Here is what I use. I still only do extract, but do full boils. I heated 4 gallons of water from 58 degrees to 160 in about 5 minutes. I know that they sell this burner without the attachedments and it will run on standard PSI or High (30) PSI regulator.

I've got the same burner with a 20psi Bayou Classic regulator. The last time I used it, I was able to bring the 5 gallons in my keggle to a near boil over in about 8 minutes with the valve wide open. The 10psi regulator I had before that could take upwards of 40-50 minutes

I guess both of the last two posters DIDN'T READ the whole thread. The original poster CAN NOT use the high pressure burners and regulators you proposed. If you read the whole thread, he is trying to find a low pressure burner and low pressure regulator that he can use with his low pressure control valve.:mad: Sheesh guys!

Back