Need Help---- Burner and stand for 1bbl batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
got tasked with building pilot system at 1bbl, since i'm "resourceful" which i assume means a cheap bastard as well as being handy/ able to DIY for cheap.

so we now will have a blue barrel (free) mash tun with wilser bag (50bucks). got a secret handshake deal on 50gal ss brewtech kettle for cheap a bit over 300.

now i need to heat it. for now i want simplicity to just get the damn thing going so i'm looking for a direct fire set up. we have 3phase electric but i dont wanna deal with that yet.

the one off the shelf burner i saw that seemed like it would hold 350ish pounds was the blichman hellfire. can do 80k btus or max of 150k btus.

does 150k seem like enough btus? i've seen a nano use that model on a 1bbl system, but didnt ask about how long it takes, etc. as it also doubles as the stand for the kettle so i like this option for simplicity.

otherwise i could build a stand out of strut and mount a burner. but what burner would i need? ive seen the 23 jet ones but they only say 90k btus. havent seen much else, but maybe im not sure what i should be searching for...?

what say you folks who do big batches like this?

found the jet burners, looks like they go up to crazy stuff like 440 or 880k btus. overkill. but it also says its hard to run them at lower power than max- bad fuel mix, yellow flame, etc.

as this will be powering the kettle i guess id want to make sure i have some sort of control over the power, as i dont want crazy boiloff rates or to beat up the wort too much.

blichman says their unit will go from mash out to boil in under 20 mins i believe, so maybe 30-40 for us based on 40gals and no mash out step?

anybody with experience here i'd appreciate some feedback.

Back