Need help with a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimBrew

Reaction score
First I'm not a hop head, I don't usually like high IBU beer

I have done ~15 batchs but never an APA or IPA cause I was sure I didn't like them.

But a friend give me a bottle of his Double IPA (not sure it fit the spec for a double) His recipe register 24 IBU.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 13.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs 1.6 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
1 lbs 1.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
0.28 oz Chinook [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 10.5 IBUs
0.28 oz Northern Brewer [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 8.7 IBUs
0.28 oz Cascade [5.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 5.7 IBUs
0.88 oz Centennial [12.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 7 32.9 IBUs
0.88 oz Centennial [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

And I like it, so I order a bunch of american hops
4 oz Amarillo
4oz Citra
5 oz centennial
and I have some cascade lying around among others.

I want to do an APA or IPA that it's not too hoppy but that will use some of my new hops that must be awsome as they're really hard to get by at low cost. Color is not a must, could be anything.

So do you have a recipe that would fit my need to find a IPA that I really like ?

I though of 3 SMASH with each of the 3 hops and Maris Otter at 25-30 IBU with some final and dry hops, but not sure it's the best way to use them.

you could easly do the SMaSH beers and they would turn out great.
my suggestion would be...
8# pale malt
3/4# carapils or the crystal but not both.
3/4oz centennial at 60
1oz amarillo at 10 and flameout.
this is just a suggestion and i have not ran this through a brew calculator.

thats a really odd recipe - no hops after 40 min and a very small dry hop addition - it's def higher than 24 IBU (57.9 IBU per that recipe)- he has 32 IBU alone from the 40min centennial addition

25-30 IBU is just barely APA range (30-45 IBU per BJCP)

I did a SMaSH with Golden Promise (similar to MO) and Amarillo that came out pretty nicely but was a little one dimensional

if you wanted to do the same SMaSH for each hop variety I would target a specific IBU then add appropriate hops at 60min and 15min to get you to your target IBU then do 1oz at flameout and 1oz dry hop - this will get you a pretty good APA, for an IPA you would want to increase late hop additions and maybe Dry Hop with 2oz

you could also try First Wort Hopping which will smooth the bitterness out a bit and contribute some more hop flavor

the beer's ive tried that were bittered early with Citra had an undesirable bitterness but there seem to be many here who bitter with citra with no problems

are there any commerical APAs or IPAs that you like? you could also try to mimic them - Racer 5 is a pretty awesome IPA with mild bitterness and solid hop flavor without being too over the top

Well for commercial IPA it look like the only thing from the US that can go north is Bud and coors light.

Some craft brewery around here are doing IPA but in the 70IBU range, too much for me.

If don't find a recipe to use some of those hops together I might do a 30L batch with MO and split it in 3 boil for the smashs. I keep in mind the note about the citra and bitter with something else (chinook Northern brewer or target) it won't be a smash but that's not my goal, more tasting those 3 hops.

Your right about the recipe being 57IBU I must misread that in beersmith.

I might try FWH as it might help to tolerate the bitterness of the beer, how do you process FWH in beersmith ?

Thanks for the advices.

there is a drop down for FWH in beersmith - boil, dry hop, mash hop, FWH etc when you go to add your hops

those 3 hops will work great together as well, i just thought you wanted to do a SMaSH but they should work great together but will be very tropical and citrus fruit dominant (which I personally love)

Then I think I'll go for one recipe instead of the multiple smash.

Might be

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 8 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 89.5 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.3 %
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 19.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 7.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Boil 60min eff 80% Mash 150
5.9%abv OG 1.057 IBU 31.9

I could go hopier as the beer should be malty and might hide the hop a bit.

How it look

looks like a solid recipe to me

if you wanted to add more hops you add some amarillo or centennial to the dry hop but you also have a solid recipe as it is now

If your going to use the cara pils and crystal I would suggest that they be a pound or less combined. If not the beer will turn out a little to sweet. Cara pils is crystal pilsner, basically crystal 10. They will leave alot of unfermentables in the wort.

Ok I edit the recipe and sub the 1lbs of 60L for 8 oz of 80L and add 8oz of MO.
I think 1 more oz of amarillo in dry hop should completed it.

Latest posts

Back