Need help wiring element outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrish15

Reaction score
I'm putting together a 120v control panel for a rims build and am having a massive brainfart deciding where to go with the neutral off the element outlet.

Sorry for the rickety diagram but I threw it together quick.

Thanks for looking. This is all new to me, but I'm enjoying figuring it all out.

Don't suppose you can get a diagram of the element? You have a neutral, hot and ground going to a load. Puzzles me because every heating element i've seen only had a hot and neutral.

The "element" in my diagram refers to one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AUNQ8A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

So my understanding was the element receptacle needs to be grounded to the main ground post like this

ground.jpg

To the element receptacle I have a line coming from hot bus---->ssr 1----->contactor---->receptacle

ground from main ground post

neutral ? Guessing back to neutral bus but not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, almost.

Hot to the receptacle - You have that.
THEN NEUTRAL to receptacle from your NEUTRAL bus.
THEN GROUND to receptacle.
Wire your plug for the element accordingly. Hot to hot, Neutral to neutral, ground to ground.

At the element, HOT to one side of the element, it doesn't matter which side. Then NEUTRAL to the other side. You want the ground to be connected to your kettle. That will give you an equipment ground. So if there is any leak of electricity it will flow to the path of least resistance, i.e. the ground wire and not you or whoever may touch it.

Your confusion is likely the result of looking at Kal's material and not noticing that he's using 240v which has 2 HOTs and a ground, but no neutral whereas 120v has 1 HOT, 1 NEUTRAL and a ground. Get it? (each HOT wire in 240V is 120v)

Back