Need help w/ partial mash - sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orcus332

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've made about 5 batches of beer so far, and they've all turned out really good. I wanted to make sure my technique was good though, as I'm still confused I'f im doing the sparge step correctly. I'm not at home, so I can't comment on the grain:water ratio for the sparge. I'll tell you my technique though. (This is for AHS partial mash kits). After the mash, I put the entire grain bag into a strainer that sits elevated inside a 5 gallon bucket. I take 170 degree water and slowly drip over the grains (process usually takes about 20-30 minutes. I then collect that and add it to my mash water, top off to 4 gallons, and boil. Frankly, drizzling water over the grain is a pain, and I see that others just dip the grain bag into 170 degree water, then let it sit for 10 minutes (batch sparge?). I've also heard that sparging this amount of grain doesn't even matter, since most of the fermentables are coming from the LME/DME. Can someone give me some feedback on my technique?
Thanks!

I also am not an expert, but that is pretty much what I do, as well. Good results so far.

Just do a simple batch sparge with your grain bag in the additional water at 165-170 degrees. This will be more than sufficient.

Holding a strainer above a bucket and fly sparging will cause splashing into your hot wort. :( This will lead to hot side aeration and could give your beer a wet cardboard off taste. It will also reduce your shelf life.

If you have a big enough pot, you should look into the BIAB method.

Good luck,

Bull

Exactly. Dripping water over grain in a strainer isn't exactly a fly sparge anyway and you're wasting more time than necessary. Just dunk that whole bag in whatever vessel was holding your sparge water, bob it up and down a few times and let it sit 5 minutes. Pull it out and chuck it.

Latest posts

Back