need help using flaked barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
I just have a couple questions using this grain. According to papazian these grains should be milled... do you just throw this in with the other grains when you mill? And 2nd do you use rice hulls with this? Please help im going to be starting in a couple of hours.

Revvy said:
Flaked grains don't need to be milled, they're heat flattened and ready to go. You just toss them in your mash tun with your milled grains.

Ok thanks for the quick reply... do you use rice hulls to prevent stuck sparges?

I just have a couple questions using this grain. According to papazian these grains should be milled... do you just throw this in with the other grains when you mill? And 2nd do you use rice hulls with this? Please help im going to be starting in a couple of hours.

Whether you need rice hulls depends on a lot of factors. Gelatinized grains will certainly make a stuck sparge more likley, but your mash tun setup, your crush, recipe, water, etc. will determine whether rice hulls are necessary.

I tend to use them whenever I can remember. They are dirt cheap, so I just try to use them as a matter of fact. In fact I forgot on my last brew which was a brown ale that had iirc flaked oats, and also 2 boxes of ginger snaps in the mash. And yeah I got a really stuck mash. In fact in order to get through the sparge and everything, I had to keep blowing into the drain hose on my tun. When I finished you could see there was what looked like concrete on the bottom because of all the cookie goop and stickiness from the oats.

Back