Need help troubleshooting Blichmann Top Tier Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firehole

Reaction score
I am not able to attach a video, to show it happen, but I can't adjust the two burners on my Top Tier stand hot enough for both burners to heat water fast enough to be able to have a normal brew day. I follow the instructions on the Blichmann Youtube video, but not enough flame comes out. Not near the situation on the video.

My previous floor burner needed a low-pressure regulator swapped out with a high-pressure regulator or vice versa in order to get it to work. Does anyone know if this could be a pressure issue? I have it hooked up to a 20# LP tank.

Thanks,

You can put a video up on Youtube and link it here. In the mean time, if you are running these burners using an ACME nut cylinder coupling, note that coupling has a spring-loaded "Excess Flow Protection" valve that can be triggered if down-stream controls are open prior to opening the cylinder valve. When the EFP triggers it greatly cuts the flow of gas leaving enough to perhaps keep a burner lit but not enough to do much else. The way to avoid that is to close all control valves/regulators, then slowly open the cylinder valve, then open burner controls.

Floor burners and Top Tier burners both use bg14 elements and came with 0-10 psi regulators. I run a pair of Floor Burners in my brew stand, both sharing a single 20# cylinder, with no problems. But, I use a POL-style regulator which does not have an EFP valve, and avoid the whole paradigm.

One other thing worth mentioning: running a pair of bg14s at half-throttle or higher can cause a cylinder to chill so deeply it can't maintain the desired gas flow. But that syndrome should be clearly evident as the burners will run fine for awhile until the tank chills down. A way to mitigate that is to float the cylinder in a bucket of water...

Cheers!

Thanks so much. I'm pretty sure that is the problem. I appreciate the advice. Good to know about the chilling of the tank.

Cheers,

Back