Need help Tailpiece washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f0xtr0t

Reaction score
Hello I have people coming over in a few I don't have the washer that goes in the tail piece and shank. Does someone know of a place like lowes or home depot that I can get a washer? no homebrew store in my area

Yes. a place like Lowes or Home depot will have something workable.

Could also look at a beverage equipment supply store.

It's a special size, I doubt Lowes or HD has them. But you could use an o-ring, or even 2, one fitting inside the first, as long as one covers the inside of the nut and the smaller one the disc of the tailpiece. If you have any rubber gasket material around you can cut one too, for the time being.

I've never tried this, but an o-ring that goes over the tailpiece, large enough to fill that recessed area on the disc where the nut covers, may work. Then use enough teflon tape on your shank to seal the threads. They're not tapered, so put on 6-10 turns.

Or in a pinch, cut the gasket from a piece of an old bicycle's inner tire. Use 3-4 layers. Not exactly food grade, but exposure is minimal. You could wrap them in Saran wrap.

I wonder if a garden hose washer will work. It may need to be trimmed a little smaller to fit inside the nut.

Or in a pinch, cut the gasket from a piece of an old bicycle's inner tire. Use 3-4 layers. Not exactly food grade, but exposure is minimal. You could wrap them in Saran wrap.

In past, I've just taken a thin slice off a appropriately sized hose (silicone/vinyl) for a makeshift washer. Have even used leather in a pinch.

Lowes will have something workable if perhaps not ideal.

Certainly there are restaurants where he lives, and thus a company that services/sells beverage equipment. HBS are not the only source for beer related fiddly bits.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up borrowing someone's one piece shank and using that.

Back