Need Help Jumping Into This

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I don't feel the need to have to go to 250v for 5 gallon batches. I love the concept of the spike solo but I think they are moving out of the normal Homebrewers budget. Yes, I get it, some people want to afford this. Unfortunately, that's just not me.
Clawhammer supply has amazing customer service, makes an amazing product, and are some stand up dudes. Not saying spike isn't.

An 11 gal kettle will work for 5 gal batches using the BIAB method. There are four off the shelf controllers that you should consider:
  • The High Gravity Wort Hog EBC-130 -- $395 assembled
  • The Auber Instruments CUBE 2E -- $420 assembled, $330 kit
  • The Auber Instruments CUBE 2S -- $540 assembled, $440 kit
  • The Blichmann Engineering BrewCommander -- $375 assembled
The Wort Hog and CUBEs are both based on Auber EZBoil controllers. The CUBEs use the high end DSPR320 model which allows for automatic step mashing, as well as two programmable relays (for alarms, pump control, etc.) Not sure about the Wort Hog, but it might use the DSPR120 low end model which does not have automatic step mashing, nor does it have controllable relays. The BrewCommander uses touch panel user interface, and can also do automatic step mashing.

The Wort Hog and CUBEs also have high current switches/contactors that completely de-energize the element output when the units are off. The BrewCommander does not completely de-energize the element output when the unit is off (it does not have mechanical disconnects in series with the power SSR, and SSR's leak when "off".)

The BrewCommander requires a 120V power input (from a separate outlet) as well as the 240V outlet. The others are all powered from a single 4-wire 240V outlet.

The Wort Hog and BrewCommander both can manually control one 120V pump (second pump option available for Wort Hog.) The CUBEs can control two 120V pumps. The 2E is manual pump control, and the 2S allows manual as well as automatic pump control (programmed control from the DSPR320.)

Or, you can DIY your own controller. Here is a schematic for an EZBoil based control panel. It allows manual control of one pump, and automatic step mashing. It also contains a "Safe Start" interlock that prevents the panel from powering up unless both the element power enable and pump switches are off.

View attachment 679899

Brew on :mug:

Easily one of the best breakdowns of controllers i've found. Thanks for this!!

For someone very new to electric, could you explain how the automatic pump control the Cube 2S offers would be useful during brewing?

Been doing BIAB with propane outside for a few years now. I've got my 240v and ventilation installed and am leaning toward an Auber Cube controller. Just not sure if i'd use the extra features offered by the 2S. Single vessel eBIAB is preference in the short and long term if that is helpful.

Easily one of the best breakdowns of controllers i've found. Thanks for this!!
Thanks. Glad you found this useful.

For someone very new to electric, could you explain how the automatic pump control the Cube 2S offers would be useful during brewing?
I'm not the right person to ask about this. I'm of the opinion: sure you can do this, but why would you want to?

Been doing BIAB with propane outside for a few years now. I've got my 240v and ventilation installed and am leaning toward an Auber Cube controller. Just not sure if i'd use the extra features offered by the 2S. Single vessel eBIAB is preference in the short and long term if that is helpful.

Brew on :mug:

One use would be to initiate a chilling operation automatically. Aka, something 99% of brewers dont care about,

Interesting, I assume you'd need a 2nd pump already attached to said chiller to run this type of function? I'm planning on keeping it simple, one riptide pump, single vessel BIAB. Sounds like maybe i'd be better off with the Cube 2E? Or even a WortHog 130?

Latest posts

Back