Need help finishing keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky2284

Reaction score
I just finished my keezer and installed an stc-1000. I have everything insulated and looks pretty air tight. The keezer cycles pretty often, i would say every 15 minutes for 4 mins. I was wonder what settings on my STC i could use to help save my keezer from cycling so much and also where i should place my probe. Would adding a fan and where would help as well?

Try placing the temperature probe directly against one of the kegs near the bottom and cover it with some bubble wrap. Then place a small fan inside the keezer, running full time. Set the STC-1000 cooling delay to something 3 minutes or more and you should be OK.

Once the system stabilizes you should see a considerable reduction in the cycling. Mine cycles on for 3-4 minutes about once every two hours. I put the probe on the outside of a keg only after the keg has been in the keezer for 2-3 days.

The fan will keep the temperature more constant, but will cause more condensation if you have any air leaks because it accentuates air transfer through any gaps.

I built a thermowell from some copper pipe and a medium-sized pill bottle. I fill the pill bottle with water and use silicone to attach it to the side of the keezer. The probe slips into the thermowell. This is a better option than having the probe just hanging in the air. It will stabilize the temp of the probe, and it won't cycle as often.

I've stuck my probe to the keg 6 inches from the bottom it cycles off 35 min and cycles on 15 mins. I attached the probe with plumbers puddy. I've searched for leaks and nothing

Still more frequently that any of us would like. I use an old pickle jar as my thermal mass for probe. It's also something that doesn't need to constantly be installed and removed like a keg. My exact model is: 1 pickle jar full of water (or starsan because why not?), the STC sensor taped to it, then an old sock without a brother folded over and taped over the sensor to insulate the sensor from the air. This gives an accurate reading of the jar. It sits on a piece of Styrofoam so that the jar isn't influenced by direct conduction with the surface of the freezer. With 0.5* hysteria (F2 if memory serves) it cycles about 15-20 minutes on and about 2-3 hours off depending on ambient.

You could also look into the settings for the differential temperature before it activates a heat or cool cycle.

Latest posts

Back