Need help...double quick...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Munich dunkel...grain bill as follows:

10# Briess Bonlander
6 oz Carafa II (Special)

Hallertau at 60 minutes

WYEast 2206.

I did a step mash--40 minutes at 143, 20 minutes at 155, 10 minute mash out at 167.

The problem: I didn't properly account for the water additions on the beta rest and mash out with my strike water. My mash was too thin. As a result, this basically turned into a no sparge mash. My efficiency was 59-60%, when it is normally in the 77-78% range. Original gravity was 1.040, when I was expecting 1.052-53.

I've got a couple of options:

1. Roll with it as a session Munich dunkel

2. Try to raise the gravity a few points. Unfortunately, I have no DME or LME available, but I do have some turbinado and honey.

The sample tasted ok, but clearly a bit watery.

I haven't pitched the yeast yet...it's still getting down to pitching temp.

So, if you were me, what would you do? And re: option 2, would I simply boil some honey or turbinado and then add the syrup to the fermenter? And what are the chances that the body would come out to thin relative to style.

I just checked on the idea of an extended boil. The thought of putting it back in the kettle, boiling, and re-chilling is not appealing. Esp. because I'm in the middle of a second batch on a double brew day.

I guess I'll just go with it as a session beer. It's quite annoying.

Latest posts

Back