Need help Cross Border Shopping in NY/NJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
I'm Canadian,, and stuff is expensive or unavailable here.

I'm traveling to NY next week to do a family wedding and though I'd pick up some star San since I can't have it shipped here. And save on a whack of other things.

I'm having a hell of a time finding retail outlets on the path. I'm not really familiar with the area. I'm following my brother in law who'll be shopping at the two places below. Based on the addresses, can you tell me what's close buy that you'd recommend? All I could find so far (after way too much time wasted) is Niagara Tradition Homebrewing Supplies;

Here's where I'll be;

• 1900 Military Road, Niagara Falls, NY
  • Buffalo Niagara Airport
  • 498 Red Apple Court, Central Valley, NY 10917

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Niagara Tradition Home Brew Supply. 1296 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14217.

As far as the Niagara Falls/Buffalo leg of your trip:

You'll be a few miles from Niagara Traditions. It's a nice place. They have a pretty good selection. I really like dealing with them. I throw them as much business as I can.

There is a wine shop in the area that also sells beer supplies called Let's Do Wine. Very limited selection though. It's in Depew, NY.

Consumer's Beverage Center sells some beer supplies as well, but mostly startup kits, grain, and yeast. They are good in a pinch. They have a great selection of good beer. You might want to stop there to check it out. There are a bunch of locations throughout WNY.

Premier on Maple Rd in Amherst, NY has a nice beer assortment. They advertise something like 1500 different beers in stock. I was just there during my lunch hour. :D

Cant you buy it on the internet and have it shipped? Just curious.

No. Apparently Star San is on the no fly list. No one will ship it to Canada. Plus if I'm going, why pay for shipping. Seriously, my brew equipment is twice the cost of your stuff so I figure I'll get a capper and caps and whatnot. Perfect example: Based on some searches, caps cost 5 bucks for 144 pcs over there. Here it's 50 caps for 5 bucks. almost three times the price!

No. Apparently Star San is on the no fly list. No one will ship it to Canada. Plus if I'm going, why pay for shipping. Seriously, my brew equipment is twice the cost of your stuff so I figure I'll get a capper and caps and whatnot. Perfect example: Based on some searches, caps cost 5 bucks for 144 pcs over there. Here it's 50 caps for 5 bucks. almost three times the price!

Crazy

Ontario Beer Kegs carries Star San and 100 caps is on sale right now for $4.99. They're worth checking out. I have bought equipment, hops and grain from them at nearly the same price as in the USA.

Won't you pay duty on it at the border?

Nope. I'm in the US for 5 days so I get to take a wack of stuff back tax exempt. Planning on getting cheap vodka for the airlocks too.

Holy $hat, just bought the cheapest vodka at the duty free. 1.75 Liters (half a gallon) for 12 bucks. I normally pay 8 bucks for a tiny 200 Millilitre bottle. So I bought two. Who cares if it's not good to drink? (maybe it is, I'll never find out). My airlocks are filled for years (maybe 5 or 6)

Back