Need help choosing the lesser of two wrongs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
Hello brewers,

So here is the lowdown. I am rushing an American pale ale using US-05 (I know, I know) for an upcoming festival next weekend (even worse, I know) and I plan to use gelatin as a fining agent. I've never used gelatin before but I'm aware that it's best added to cold beer. I need to transport the keg about 50 miles so I'm thinking I'll cold crash with gelatin in a secondary rather than the keg so I don't risk stirring up any gel in transportation. These people want good booze, not craft beer jello shots!

Now, here's the problem...

I am also currently fermenting my first lager using Cry Havoc in my keezer. It's been in primary for about 2 weeks and I plan to do a diacetyl rest this weekend and then I'll secondary for lagering.

This creates a temperature problem. I need to cold crash my pale ale before I add the gelatin. I also need to gently step the temperature down for lagering.

If I can get away with doing a week long diacetyl rest, then I can cold crash the ale until the festival next weekend and then do my lager the right way.
...but, is that too long of a rest?
...or, could I meet in the middle and jump the temp down to say about 45 begin my lagering and cold crashing at the same time? Is that too big of a drop from rest to lagering right away?
...is 45 even cold enough to crash this ale and make the gelatin work?

I'm confused and running out of time.
HALP!

Cheers,
Hammy

So I may have jumped the gun posting this (and most other questions I post for that matter). After some searching I see that a week long d-rest wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

...so scratch that question.

I'm still curious if I could drop them both in at around 45' F with no ill effects to the lager yest while still effectively cold crashing and utilizing the gelatin on my ale..?

Most people will suggest dropping the beer to just about freezing when using gelatin. You could remove the lager carboy and leave at room temperature for 4-5 days for the diacetyl rest, and in the meantime put the pale ale in the freezer set to 33F and wait until it reaches that temp. Then add the hot gelatin solution and let it settle for 2-3 days. Remove ale carboy and rack to keg/bottle, set fridge to lager temp and begin lagering.

I'm still curious if I could drop them both in at around 45' F with no ill effects to the lager yest while still effectively cold crashing and utilizing the gelatin on my ale..?
What you do with your lagers is all about what stage the fermentation is in.
You mention 2 weeks of this and 1 week of that, but what you should be doing is taking gravity readings before you determine what you are going to do next.
If the fermentation is done, then lowering it to 45 won't hurt anything.
The only way to determine that is to pull a sample and take a gravity reading.

What you do with your lagers is all about what stage the fermentation is in.
You mention 2 weeks of this and 1 week of that, but what you should be doing is taking gravity readings before you determine what you are going to do next.
If the fermentation is done, then lowering it to 45 won't hurt anything.
The only way to determine that is to pull a sample and take a gravity reading.

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't have even mentioned times in the first place. I was just generalizing to try and keep on topic and not muddy up my post with (more) irrelevant details. It is in fact time for a d-rest.

Back