Need clarification on "No brew before the boil."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB2 HughBHomeBrew

Reaction score
So, as I brew today this question came up again. We've all heard the "no brew before the boil" guideline, and I've seen where it matters for calculating IBUs, boil times, pre-boil gravity and so on.

But does that mean "before the boil starts?," "before rolling boil reached," "before thinking really hard about waiting for boil???"

Asking for a friend - thanks

Is this before hopping or something? I've never heard that phrase. And not like first wort hops are anything new. And there's no reason not to hop a little before boil as long as you account for it.

Is this before hopping or something? I've never heard that phrase. And not like first wort hops are anything new. And there's no reason not to hop a little before boil as long as you account for it.
No, it was not supposed to be anything seriously affecting the beer like that - just meaning don't enjoy too much brew too early in the brew day ;). Maybe the "broken hydrometer count" people started it.

For me, it's no brew until the cleanup is complete, otherwise one ends up getting hurt.

Now after everything is clean and put away, I'll usually know down several, before I get my shower

LOL!!! That's how I always took it - don't drink while brewing. |There's a lot of hot stuff going on, and burns, spills or mistakes are more likely as blood alcohol increases. I'll usually pop my first as I'm running into the fermenter. I don;'t drink fast enough for it to make a difference in the few minutes that takes, including checking gravity then pitching yeast and sealing. Having a cold one does help in the cleaning up phase, though.

Drinking beer while brewing is the right and natural thing to do.

I also enjoy chewing on a horsemeat sammich when I'm out riding, I sip antifreeze while driving, talk about Alexander Graham Bell while I'm on the phone, I read about toilets when I'm pooing, and I watch the Godfather while eating meatballs.

Don't ask me about my romantic practices, but yes I do announce what I'm doing loudly before the Lady Chatterley crisis.

Drinking beer while brewing is the right and natural thing to do.

I also enjoy chewing on a horsemeat sammich when I'm out riding, I sip antifreeze while driving, talk about Alexander Graham Bell while I'm on the phone, I read about toilets when I'm pooing, and I watch the Godfather while eating meatballs.

Don't ask me about my romantic practices, but yes I do announce what I'm doing loudly before the Lady Chatterley crisis.
Horsemeat sammich sounds amazing right now. Too bad I don't have a horse

The only thing that concerns me about drinking while brewing is how it affects the length of the brew day

Start at 8:00am, done by 12:30 and can get other stuff done, start at 12:00 don't get done til 6 and then I'm smashed

No different than BBQ'ng, always have something to enjoy

For me, it's no brew until the cleanup is complete, otherwise one ends up getting hurt.

Imperial Stout brewed on Winter Solstice this year, whilst drinking imperial stout... I burnt the s*** out of my hand taking a sample.

Naming this one "2nd degree stout", added vanilla / bourbon tincture when bottling.. it will be hot.

Lesson learned.... wear a glove when taking samples from the boiling kettle ball valve :)

I brewed late one time. Forgot to close the fermenter's valve before transfering the wort. My daughter saved me on that one. Then I forgot to pitch in the yeast. And then I pitched without aerating.

I'm also inexperienced so that didn't help. Now I wait for the yeast to be pitched before pouring myself a reward.

I usually start fairly early (8:00 a.m. or so), I do like to get the strike water on before I have a nice Michelada with my burrito. After that I will likely have a pour or two as the rest of the day moves forward. Then the neighbors show up and all bets are off. I have ended the day sh*t faced and put off clean up till tomorrow, but that doesn't happen often. :bigmug:

I have never mixed drinking with brewing. Can't trust myself to not eff-something-up ;)
As it is there's almost always one screw-up on brew days. Most are quite benign, but every once in awhile I throw myself a metaphorical eephus pitch and it's scramble time to recover :D

Cheers!

I like to get started early, there’s something relaxing about mashing in with my morning cups of joe. The house is quiet, child and wife sleeping, I can enjoy my morning coffee before my wife starts complaining of the heavenly smell of boiling wort. Then I switch to beer.

Wait, your not supposed to drink while brewing, then you would only have yourself to blame for screwups..........and that's not happening.

hmm, i like to pace myself. being my boils take 3 hours for some reason, i like to drink just enough so that when i'm done sparging, it's time for a afternoon nap during the boil.

i have missed my tempo before and ended up with a few 2-3 hour mashes though ;)

my own meme....lol

drinkand brew.jpg

Back